"Sand" among finalists for National Toy Hall of Fame

Water.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, and I don’t think games in general (billiards, Mahjong, Risk, Battleship) should be included in a list of toys. Also, sand isn’t a toy anymore than rocks, sticks and pets are toys…they are part of nature.

1 Like

I agree with you. There’s a certain intentionality of design that separates most board games from the free play of toys. That’s an important difference because I look at toys as a means to encourage imagination whereas boardgames don’t have that. The components can be played with individually, I suppose (and grew up doing), but that’s not what the nomination is for.

3 Likes

Because the sand marketing team is so dominant?

With the worldwide sand shortage to produce concrete, avoiding the cracks may soon be how kids experience sand.

2 Likes

Well, there’s always play sand instead. It’s developed by blasting rocks in quarries and then shipped for further crushing. It doesn’t deplete our sand reserves. It’s just uses a lot of energy and has a large carbon footprint…

Sand is pretty depressing

1 Like

Do you think its safety has been considered at all? This is a brief clip from the MSDS:

1 Like

It took them eleven years to get to Ball. Raggedy Ann and Andy, separately, were each more urgent than ball. What a crap list.
https://www.toyhalloffame.org/toys/year

2 Likes

Dang. I missed the 2008 induction ceremony.

Had I known it was going to be stick’s night in the limelight after 10 years of being snubbed I would have jumped on my skateboard with my baby doll and hurried over.

1 Like

Rock isn’t a tool, weapon, or toy: it’s a pet!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.