"Sand" among finalists for National Toy Hall of Fame

Originally published at: "Sand" among finalists for National Toy Hall of Fame | Boing Boing

3 Likes

What, mud has gotten the short end of the stick, again.

27 Likes

I vote for cardboard box.

32 Likes

I know a few cats that will back you on that.

18 Likes

From the title I assumed this

1 Like

Cardboard box was inducted in 2005. The stick was inducted in 2008.

15 Likes

Evergreen

6 Likes

I suspect this was a subtle PR plant for Dune.

4 Likes

And here i was going to nominate that very short end of the stick for the Ur-toy. (oh the endless summer days when all we needed was a stick… it could be a sword, a gun, a a stick)

3 Likes

Stick should be up there with sand. My 10 year old and 13 year old gave up our sandbox years ago. But sticks continue to fascinate them. The dog likes sticks too, and sand for that matter. At the beach, she will give up rubbing her face in the sand to chase a stick. So I say stick beats sand.

2 Likes

I don’t think board games should be on this list. In my head, “toy” suggests something that doesn’t come with a set of rules. Legos and Rubik’s cube qualify, because while they may come with a suggested objective, they can easily be experienced in other ways. Whereas Settlers of Catan is fairly useless unless played by the rules (Monopoly, a previous inductee, as well).

4 Likes
16 Likes

That is perhaps why it was inducted in 2008 and sand is only being nominated this year?

You guys get how hall of fame induction works? Once you are inducted you are in forever. Babe Ruth isn’t in contention to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame every year because he was inducted in 1936.

2 Likes

Sand got some bad PR in Episode II. Glad after 19 years, it’s fully rehabilitated.

1 Like

I don’t see rock though. But, maybe the thinking is that it’s more of a tool or a weapon rather than a toy.

1 Like

I don’t know. Everytime we play, someone builds stuff with the wooden tokens, me included.

I’d just like to add that for an expensive game, the board in Catan is absolute shit quality. The pieces start to warp almost instantly.

tenor (22)

3 Likes

It does kinda seem like this is more of a U.S. National Toy Marketing Hall of Fame.

1 Like

The Strong Museum of Play is well worth it for young kids, and us old kids. Visited this summer, and could have spent hours longer. “Sand” is very much in the spirit of things, to be honest.

1 Like

Yes exactly, right there with good sticks and sand and mud plus all manner of rocks

1 Like