Sand thieves believed to be behind epidemic of Chinese GPS jamming

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/19/gps-spoofers-r-us.html

4 Likes

Funnily enough, I was watching a documentary about The UK’s new aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth yesterday, which had a segment where the captain was schooling junior officers in the use of a sextant to take a bearing / get a fix on the vessel’s position. He stated that GPS could not be assumed to be working in time of war given it was likely one of the first bits of infrastructure the enemy would try to take out, and that all Royal Naval officers were expected to be able to use a sextant.

Seems like he could offer some lessons to commercial craft captains in China. :wink:

19 Likes

“Soft gold”???

2 Likes

Kind of reminds me of the people who steal bronze statuary for its melt value.

For each million dollars in damages the entrepreneurs pass onto the public at large, they’re able to make a small profit.

12 Likes
  1. Jamming GPS: Easy.
  2. Spoofing an AIS transponder with a fake ship and position: Easy.
  3. Fooling a GPS receiver so that it thinks it has a valid lock on a wrong position: Extremely difficult, with military implications.

eta: A busy port, indeed!

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:121.8/centery:31.0/zoom:9

12 Likes

Every fucking day, it’s a weirder, more intense mishmash of Gibson, Sterling and Brunner isn’t it? When’s it Banks’s turn for fuck’s sake? Or even just Rodenberry’s, dammit?

21 Likes

I read The World in a Grain, a book about sand and sand thieves, this summer. Highly recommended if you enjoy histories of small seemingly inconsequential but not at all inconsequential things:

5 Likes

Sand thievery is a lucrative global racket. For those interested more about the scale of the problem, this podcast is worth a listen:

10 Likes

Add this to Anakin’s list.

10 Likes

The plot from “Tomorrow Never Dies”…

2 Likes

I was just thinking that, when I think we’ve hit peak Cyberpunk, some fucker turns it up to 11.

8 Likes
4 Likes

I’m still shocked how far Jacob Rees Mogg’s political career has come after a scandal like that.

5 Likes

Oh that is good.

1 Like

Sand thieves have got a lot of sand.

And as you link suggest, the GPS Shift from Chinese Government on the map shows the boat completely off the river…
Yep, China can do that!

unfortunately, we lost the track to this particular timeline long ago.

4 Likes

Given the track to that timeline involves world war III, I wouldn’t be so sure.

4 Likes

And much more besides!

1 Like

The spice must flow. I’d have thought GPS was instrumental in tracking the worms.

1 Like