Sandy Hook Truthers are the worst

I just popped the thermometer into this thread and it reads… Fully baked :D. I think opinions and thoughts have been thoroughly expressed, so I’ll volunteer to ice it and mount the raspberries.

(Where am I going with this?)

5 Likes

Fruit puns?

Sandy Hook Denialists are the worst.

It’s just down the road apiece, and my eldest is now in kindergarten.

Here?

or Here?

Or maybe even here…?

They are the worst, I believe there is consensus to that position, and the value of this discussion is low. It is no longer about SH or the terrible, awful event, the terrible people that deny it, or the repercussions of denial.

1 Like

I understand your position and you have argued it. Out of respect to us that feel strongly about school violence, lets put this particular debate to bed.

5 Likes

It doesn’t really matter whether you believe in those things as long as everyone else does. I could hold a personal belief that all property is a myth and that laws are just part of a mass delusion, but if I crashed a stolen Ferrari into the city hall and hopped out to scream racist propaganda from the speaker’s podium then the jail cell I’d find myself in would be real enough.

8 Likes

“Polite discussion” is a wee bit of a stretch considering the topic at hand… so if they make the effort to be perverse I think it’s safe to say no one will be offended for calling em what they are.

2 Likes

There is no “me” or “everybody else”. Each of us determines what society is as much as anybody else does. It is not an individual versus a monolithic whole.

Perhaps a thread fork might be appropriate? No disrespect, but this is getting a tad… Unwieldy.

5 Likes

Sorry about that! I will split.

I happen to live only a few miles away from Sandy Hook, and as I mentioned, a self-professed “truther” was arrested for speaking out here. So I thought this was relevant to the conversation. Apparently it becomes off-topic when others don’t like what I have to say about it.

Don’t split!! And it is relevant, but you are making a larger point that I think is interesting! (Specifically The Commons)

1 Like

What every derail has in common is that they surely are not about the 161 school shootings since Newtown.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/12/14/average-one-shooting-per-week-schools-since-newtown-massacre/KSU7BGPMenbuhPglzBo3AO/story.html

3 Likes

No problem, I said what I needed to.

In case some are not aware, I have kids in school also, I don’t want them or any others shot or attacked.

Despite protecting their rights to their (IMO stupid) views, I do not sympathize with the truthers. I am one of those “sunlight is the best disinfectant” people, and think that people should be invited to bring up their daft views and either persuade or get laughed/booed off the stage otherwise. People with strength of conviction to their thoughts and feelings need not feel so vulnerable to other perspectives. Mature people - and societies - can be civil enough to agree to disagree. Dragging people off in chains only deepens iniquity and strife. YMMV

I make like a banana, and split.

2 Likes

Copy/pasting a reply is… Err… Not the best strategy. Perhaps speak about the ideas and concepts themselves?

1 Like

People of the sort who argue that Sandy Hook was a hoax suddenly have respect for professors? LMFAO

7 Likes

Forums are short form content, but executive summaries are not just possible but common. If your point can’t be summarized, it may fail occams razor.

5 Likes

Have you read the linked story in the opening post?
If yes: how on earth can you make the points you are making? If no: please read.

3 Likes

What kind of evil Fucker would script the killing of school kids to forward an anti-gun agenda? The whole argument defies logic!

5 Likes

HOW FREAKING MANY PEOPLE NEED TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS? Way way too many. Hell even the famous loch ness monster photo had only 2 guys and one of them said how they faked it in the end.
Someone would have seriously talked by now. There is a lot of truth in the saying ‘Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead’.
Is so hard for you to live in a world where sometimes shitty things happen for no reason? (well easy access to guns doesn’t help things but that is another argument) Do we have to make up fantasy of grand machinations to explain away the fact that the universe is indeed a random and uncaring thing. It is also freaking amazing and beautiful thing and there is way more of that in the world.

5 Likes

[lots of typing and backspacing done]

No, just, no. I don’t have a useful reply on this.
I’m afraid the topic title is fairly correct.

8 Likes