Sandy Hook Truthers are the worst

If the protester were standing on the sidelines with a sign, that would be one thing, but you say he was “in front of the platform” during a memorial speech “yelling” at the people on that platform. That really is an example of “disturbing the peace”. If you don’t like the law in your local area, do something about it, don’t complain that it’s emotional to hold someone accountable for breaking the law.

10 Likes

I didn’t read anything about them not liking a law. What I don’t appreciate is that large assemblies of people are often a bit loud, but it is only somehow illegal for the one person who says things that most of them don’t like.

It’s irony overload when the organizers put up a stand and speakers to assert that their voices need to be heard more than others.

Eh - I am pretty free speech and do what you want. It would be different if it were just signs. It would be different if they were an the outskirts of the event chanting (like funeral protests).

But one nut screaming shit in the middle of a ceremony is pretty much the definition of disturbing the peace. It isn’t like he is going to be thrown in to a gulag and honestly it was probably the best for everyone, including the “protester”. Eventually someone would have shut him up.

8 Likes

If they crashed somebodys party, I’d agree, but not in public. The way I see it, some people used institutional backing to make their speech protected, and this individual’s criminal. The organizers had no more right to gather and broadcast their feelings about it than anybody else.

What is best for “everyone” is when each person has equal say.

3 Likes

I personally think the entire state of Connecticut is a hoax. . . and I was born there.

11 Likes

And these people want to try to capture and/or kill Bigfoot, right? Or at the very least piss him off by hounding him like the paparazzi?

Pissing off someone that has mind control and/or transdimensional travel abilities is like trying to blackmail Bruce Wayne by threatening to reveal he’s Batman. Good job annoying one of the richest men on the planet, who could buy (rather than just hiring) a law firm to sue you for slander and/or libel (slander if you only speak your accusation, libel if you write it.)

Even better, if you’re right you’ve also threatened to expose a vigilante who beats up supervillains with powers despite having none of his own. And by committing blackmail, congratulations – you’re now technically a criminal, and Batman doesn’t like criminals very much.

2 Likes

The conspiracy theorist is free to organize his own rally.

7 Likes

And get the permits, and hire the police, and organize the volunteers.

Come to think of it, why hasn’t there been an Anarchist 10K yet?

6 Likes

Arrested != jailed.

There’s a good chance he was released same day without being charged with anything. It’s the police’s job to keep people safe, and they may have been concerned that his actions would provoke a violent reaction given the nature of the event.

7 Likes

No, they aren’t, really. This town is very selective in who they “let” organize events, they are pretty much insubordinate to the people who live here.

It’s arguable that public events aren’t anybodys “own”, they are public, so people have no business making claims for privacy because they are so immature as to assume that all comers do/should feel the same way.

I see the attraction, but Truthers seldom have a single delusion. It is more of a life-style than a belief. You will find the same people promoting cancer-cure scams (suppressed by Big Pharma), chemtrails, a whole ball of hair. Once you invite an isolated delusion into your head, it feels lonely, and all its relatives come to join it.
It is as if Hofstadter’s little essay on The Paranoid Style has been taken as a self-improvement guide.

2 Likes

Horribly die, please. Not like instantly killed or asphyxiated quickly by a lack of oxygen but slowly roasted while screaming in pain, screeching in fear until their final breath is one last outburst of agony. Please.

1 Like

I don’t know where in CT the event was organized, but before anyone overloads with irony over the obvious entitlement of the organizers, check out the permiting process for one of the cities: http://www.waterburyct.org/content/9567/14746.aspx

The organizers are not entitled. They do not have the right by title. They are permitted. They DO have the right, by permit, and Mister Arrested did not.

Unless he was a menace I’d hope the charges, if any, were light.

You too can get such permission, but in the civilized way. Not like a vandal.

6 Likes

WIll a 5K do?

http://www.abcf.net/blog/rdtw-2015/

1 Like

I was raised in Rhode Island. I know Connecticut is a hoax. Especially Bridgeport, where my parents “say” they were raised.

5 Likes

With a baseball bat? I think that would have been my reaction, had I been there.

And we will deny they ever existed.

10 Likes

Dear Sir,

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

3 Likes

Thus demonstrating the police’s probable reasoning in arresting the guy.

2 Likes