Saudi Arabia invites LGBTQ visitors to vacation there

Unless you’re Muslim making a pilgrimage, or a rich douche bag going to some fancy resort area, I can’t imagine why one would want to vacation there.

I suppose there are a lot of historical sights as well. But still.

5 Likes

Just because it’s controlled by a shitty regime, doesn’t mean that the place isn’t worthwhile seeing. It is the heart of the Islamic world, with a long, rich, and deep history.

6 Likes

Thanks. Fixed. Got my oppressive regimes mixed up.

6 Likes

At some point, they do kind of blur together…

5 Likes

Except they’re destroying most of the parts that don’t agree with their (extremist sunni) view: Destruction of early Islamic heritage sites in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia

7 Likes

Yes, I’m aware. They are especially keen to erase the evidence of both Hashemite and Ottoman history.

Doesn’t mean that the history that is still there isn’t worth visiting, the House of Saud aside.

5 Likes

I dunno, revisionist histories tend to leave out plenty of inconvenient truths, like the inclusivity of the last (Ottoman) sultinate, but I’m definitely not trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs.

2 Likes

I think what I’m trying to get across is being lost (or maybe ignored?). I’m not saying that visiting Saudi Arabia is worth doing in the current environment… I’m saying that as a place to visit it has inherent value, which is being destroyed by the house of Saud. I’m well aware of what is happening here, as I’ve have friends in the region, and friends who have visited the country (both for the hajj and for work). I’ve read enough history of the region to know what they’re doing and how much they’re destroying in trying to make the country a tourist destination that still functions on a fundamentally autocratic system.

6 Likes

Maybe someone has a rainbow bonesaw they want to try out.

1 Like

Visit it before it’s gone?

I agree 100%, but I think we need to put that front and centre. Not going to last long in this climate, and visiting might help finance accelerating it, but nothing we do will stop it… mostly like endangered species, and low lying costal development I guess :frowning:

1 Like

I never said otherwise… I was pushing back against the idea that it’s inherently a “shit hole” country with no value.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever said that?

I do try and call out shit moves by shitheads in power, in whatever “country” they’re in.

3 Likes

I didn’t say you did, just making my point in replying to @Mister44 clear. I was arguing that outside of this regime, there are plenty of reasons to recommend this place for a visit.

2 Likes

You’re right, there are worthwhile things to see there. I’d like to see a lot of the historical sites, especially the Kaaba. And I am sure there are nice touristy areas as well, good foods, arts, museums, etc.

I should have elaborated that I can’t imagine why one would go there vs another place that doesn’t have a shitty regime that may imprison you or worse for being who you are. If that wasn’t the case, I am sure there is a lot to see and do.

I could see rich douche bags going because they are a bit above the law compared to the average person.

2 Likes

Yeah, I certainly agree. I wish that the whole planet was free of these kinds of awful assholes, and we could all go where we like and visit all the awesome places humanity has made…

6 Likes

Thanks to advances in deepfake technology the STA should be able to bring the Traveling Wilburys back for a “In Riyadh anything’s legal; as long as you don’t get caught” promotional tour!

1 Like

I’m thinking how this is going to work is that wealthy tourists get a pass to do as they like, while they’ll keep brutally suppressing their own population. See Cuba prior to the revolution.

4 Likes

Like FL? Or TX, TN, etc?

Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

(Not directed at you, more at the US and it’s “shithole countries” mentality)

4 Likes

Sort of a cultural apartheid. I wonder what would happen if a gay citizen and a gay foreigner became lovers and were caught together.

Fun Fact! You can send them a message but the form will not accept profanity. You can however substitute words like fuQ, dunghole, shiz, etc. This applies to the fake name and email address you may want to give as well. OK, bye!