Saudi embassy hired mafiosi to smuggle Turkish PM Erdoğan's son out of Italy ahead of money laundering charges

Musta been some kinda “sheik down.”

10 Likes

When the doors close behind you, is there really a difference?

I wonder why they needed mafiosi when the old ‘just stuff him in a diplomatically privileged bag’ trick exists? It didn’t work that one time that the Israelis tried it; but that’s just because they neglected to do the paperwork properly.

“That’s a nice diplomatically privileged bag you’ve got there; be a shame if anything… happened to it.”

3 Likes

2 Likes

The Israelis didn’t screw up in the Dikko affair, it was the Nigerians they were working for who forgot to label the crates as Nigerian diplomatic pouches.

At any rate, I expect the Mafia were involved in the “getting him out of house arrest” part of the scheme. Once that part is done walking out of the country with fraudulent papers is logistically easier than putting someone in a diplomatic pouch, and much more pleasant for the smuggle-ee.

1 Like

Gerónimo!
Oh, you mean Joan d’Habsburg i Blomberg.
He didn’t speak much German, why’d you not link to a Spanish Wikipedia page?
(You know who else… No, wait. Juan wasn’t Austrian, never even went to Austria.)

1 Like

I meant to link to the English page, in fact. I first discovered him in Regensburg where I got curious about his statue. I might go back and correct it later.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.