Saudi forces permitted to kill anyone who resists eviction to make way for futuristic Line city—and have already started

“So, we’re going to build a giant dystopian city, straight out of science-fiction.”

“Love it, love it. Build a gigantic city in an unusual shape for no better reason than that it sounds vaguely cool if you don’t stop to think about it. I can just taste the hubris.”

“Thanks. Of course it’ll be heavily segregated, vertically stratified, etc. It’s basically ‘what if Snowpiercer, but a massive building instead of a train?’”

“Outstanding. I imagine it’ll be living hell if you’re poor and stuck there, but actually quite nice if you can afford to live somewhere else and just visit on weekends?”

“That’s the plan. There’s just one problem. We’re going to have to wait decades for it to be built, and maybe several years more for the full dystopian horror to kick in. So we’re looking at, oh, thirty or forty years before it turns into a real behavioral sink and the hapless proles in their concrete cells begin eating each other.”

“That is a disappointment. Is there nothing we can do about that?”

“Well, I was thinking that if we began by just straight up murdering people who refuse to get out of the way, that would set the tone for the whole project.”

“I like the way you think. Let’s do it.”

13 Likes

I mean, plenty of conservatives have found post-modernity useful as a rhetorical tool. Just look at all the oligarchs who love the trappings of a post-modern lingustics for retrograde ends.

I guess all post-modern really has come to mean is opposition to modernity, and that can come from the left and the right. It can be both Foucault (and the various deconstructionists dudes) and right wing, religiously oriented reactionaries like the house of Saud…

Hmmmm… in fact…

It can be transformative, but that’s not always just either good or bad. Just look at the highway system in the US. At the time, it did in fact connect up disparate parts of the country in a radical way. But it also very much laid the groundwork for some seriously environmental damage as well as destroyed many communities of color in the process (such as I-20 cutting straight through the heart of Sweet Auburn here in ATL).

11 Likes

Ironically French Marxists had a much better take on Iranian religious revolution. Foucault’s problem in this instance, hilariously given the Jorbaby rhetoric, is that he wasn’t a Marxist.

And obviously cultural Marxism isn’t a thing outside the rhetoric of the stupid/under read/cynical fascists.

4 Likes

Liner cities are deceptively alluring because they can solve transportation issues.

4 Likes

Yeah, I hear crosstown traffic is a nightmare in that part of the desert.

8 Likes

Not really. It would effectively create a single point of failure.

6 Likes

All points of failure, really. :thinking:

10 Likes

That’s the pitch, but the reality is that they create more trasportation issues than they solve.

In a town comprised of 24 city blocks you could arrange things in such a way that a resident standing in the center of the city could get to any part of the city without having to walk more than 3 blocks in any direction. No transportation needed at all!

But if you took those same 24 blocks and arranged them in a line then a person in the middle would have to go up to 12 blocks in either direction to visit another part of the town. Now they likely need a car or a train to get to work.

This problem scales up exponentially the bigger the city gets.

11 Likes

Forget cars. It’s designed around a train system. Train tracks are linear. Real cities tend to build many lines criss crossing their area in a desperate attempt to serve all their populations.

But a very long city shares a trait within very tall buildings. There are people who want to travel from floor 1 to floor 80 without stopping on every floor. Ands then there are people who need to travel from floor 64 to floor 70.

So, to solve this issue, there are express elevators and local elevators, and sky lobbies, and other fixes-- all of which take up an enormous amount of room in the center of the skyscraper.

Likewise, in a linear city, the lanes of rail start to take up space, increasing the width of the city, meaning that if some amenity is locally “available” but “across the tracks”. It’ll still be a pain to walk there. .

4 Likes

Only 1.3 km.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Oh yeah, for sure… but of course marxism is a political ideology of modernity, so it made sense that Foucault wasn’t a marxist.

Oh yeah… just right wing scaremongering and a stand in for “the Jews.”

8 Likes

Which is how you’ll have to get around, apparently. I mean, the “20 minute” train ride is no good - even if it’s the world’s fastest train, it could only cover the distance in 20 minutes if it didn’t make any stops. So unless you want to only go from one end to the other, you’re walking.

The problem is that for once, they’re not thinking big enough. A public transit system with reasonably spaced stops - i.e. about a quarter mile - would be about 420 stops, and normally takes at least 20 seconds at each stop, which would add up to at least 2 hours and 20 minutes of just being stopped each ride, not counting actual travel time. However - hear me out - if we replace the train with a series of canons that launch transportation tubes a quarter mile at roughly Mach 1.3, and spend 2 seconds to reload them into the next canon (during which time passengers can disembark, if they’re conscious, have retained all their limbs and are fast enough), it would work for 20 minute trips. The canons would be extremely green because they’d be powered by pixie dust, Cavorite, unobtainium or the like. And sure, it seems unlikely anyone would survive, but that’s a pretty minor detail given the whole context.

Or you could just make the city as a circle rather than a line, and it would be a literal 15 minute city.

LOL, I love that. Yes, that’s definitely the take-away - “visionary” urban planning is at risk due to climate change, not a clearly stupid idea invented by a demented man-child that obviously doesn’t work, which is breaking down as it’s finally running into reality.

I can understand all the architects and builders not wanting to point out the emperor has no clothes when they’re getting paid big bucks to keep pretending (though I can’t understand their willingness to work for a murderer who is murdering people for this insane fantasy), but when the press tip-toe around the issue…

The interesting thing about the proposal is how often it relies on everything being greater than anything that currently exists - everything has to be bigger, faster, more advanced, more popular than anything else. I think it does it because even at the most cursory, superficial examination, it needs to be, because otherwise it won’t work. (The problem is, it all falls apart with even the slightest scrutiny - a train a bit faster than anything currently existing in the world could indeed plausibly travel from one end to the other in 20 minutes, but only if it never actually stops for passengers.) So part of the plan was for it to welcome more tourists than any city on Earth. (Why?) Another part was to have the most advanced scientific research and development going on of any city on Earth. (How?) And so on. The plan doesn’t just require research, tourism, etc. - each has to be the best and biggest for the plan to appear to work even on the most superficial level.

“We have no water and what will soon be an uninhabitably hot desert even now. What shall we do with it? Build a city!” The whole thing is premised on some notion of how the structure will be self-cooling (which is why it’s thin and tall, I guess?), but the whole thing is also composed entirely of fantasies, so I assume it wouldn’t work.

From my understanding of the project, it sounds basically like a luxury housing project for 9 million people. All the service jobs for the inhabitants are supposed to be filled by robots, self-driving flying cars, and even holographic teachers (no, I don’t know what that actually means either). In other words, by design poor (and even middle class) people won’t be allowed there, as there won’t be jobs for them. Upper-middle class people can presumably come as tourists, and that’s about it. Sure, we don’t have the technology to allow this, but the plan requires a number of technologies that don’t exist.

The structures planned are on par with some of the world’s tallest buildings - only instead of individual towers, it would be two walls stretching for 100 miles. It would require a high level of engineering and build quality to even stay up long enough to complete construction, so they can’t even fall back on tofu-dreg to make it economically feasible to build.

There’s no way this thing gets built in the first place because it’s literally impossible in a thousand different ways. Whatever they do build - if anything - will be so small and so far from the vision, I’m not sure who would be interested in living there. If you look at the proposal documents, they read like a 10-year-old boy wrote them - less a bold vision for the future than a series of childish fantasies about what’s possible. And that’s what people are being killed for being in the way of.

10 Likes

That 2hrs 20min travel time is quite eye-opening. :astonished:

2 Likes

But that’s not the travel time. That’s specifically the time when you’re not even traveling. Realistically you’ve got (at least) a couple more hours of travel time on top of that - and probably more like 4 or 5 hours.

4 Likes

it’s mentioned in the video that there’s an issue when people want to get on-to or off-of the main road: it holds everybody up.

the solution touched on is to build vertically, with lots of layers. but then, the concept of the city is lots of air, space, and horizontal bridges between sides – so then you have to put transportation underground. elevator nightmare time.

i really like the bits at around 9:20 about the continuous monument – i’d never heard of that before. seems like a dystopian torment nexus

Superstudio-Continuous-Monument-view-of-Positano-1969-credit-Musee-National

7 Likes

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/xuqx7rlwtfh8wte2wyf8.gif

13 Likes

But that’s pneumatic tubes, tho! :laughing:

11 Likes

Not much fun getting stuck in rush hour traffic tho.

13 Likes

In a place that scorching hot, literally.

5 Likes