Save 54% on the World's First Liquid Plastic Welder: Bondic Pro Kit

[Read the post]

1 Like

7 Likes

I’m not sure how this can be the “World’s First.” I was using UV cure liquid plastic in an attempt to hold in solution protein crystals in place back in early 1995. Back then it was just another tool we had in the lab, not some fancy new technology. The bondic product is just a smaller and slicker packaging at a much more affordable price. Like lots of things from 1995 (see apple Newton).

Welding plastic:

Plastic welding?

Warning. Do not look at UV curing lamp with remaining eye.

3 Likes

Previously:

Hyperbole is hyperbolic.
It is a pretty slick product though. I used a similar kit to bond a glass-filled PP car part together to save a huge hassle of removing and sourcing a replacement. Thumbs up from me.

1 Like

So many choices!

Now: Boing Boing Store, Bondic Pro Kit (“All Sales Final”) for 54% off, only $22.99 for kit with 3 tubes.

Then: January 2016. Bondic Starter Kit via Mark’s Amazon affiliate link, $19.95 for kit with 2 tubes (as of today’s Amazon pricing)

Then then: March 2015. Bondic Starter Kit via Cory’s affiliate link, $19.95 for kit with 2 tubes (as of today’s Amazon pricing).

Boingers love them some Bondic!

3 Likes

or under $20 on amazon …

I work with 3D printers that cure a liquid resin with UV light. We take safety training and use precautions. So I was dismayed at the cavalier attitude displayed by this product. From the FAQ:

Can Bondic® be handled by children?
There is no risk of skin sticking uncontrollably and dangerously. Even so, we recommend you only let children over 12-13 years handle Bondic®.

Dig deep into their site and you’ll find the material safety data sheet, which includes a number of warnings including:

Skin contact
Wash off immediately with soap and plenty of water, Get medical attention if irritation develops and persists.

You’ll develop a sensitivity after regular contact with this sort of material. Rashes and worse can develop.

And then there’s the question of the ultraviolet light. We wear protective goggles when there’s any chance of exposure to UV light because of the potential for serious eye damage. What kind of UV light does Bondic use? From the FAQ:

What wavelength does the fluid cure at?
Thanks for asking but sometimes the chef doesn’t tell you the secrets of their recipes!

This is inexcusable.

6 Likes

I’ve used this stuff for years. When it works (about 80% of the time) it works great. I fixed a watch band for a 10 year-old watch, for which no replacement bands were available anywhere. That was a couple of years ago, and the fix still works, and I wear the watch daily.

You can now find knock-offs of Bondic in just about any hardware store, for considerably less. Never tried it, so I don’t know if it works as well.

From the Bondic site:

Bond, build, fix and fill anything - plastic,
wood, metal, PVC, steel, rubber, wiring, ceramic, figurines, vinyl,
Kevlar, polypropylene, leather and so much more

Polypropylene is a plus. How about polyethylene? Anyone know? That’s notoriously hard to glue.

it’s almost like they get money to hawk crap.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.