Save (but don't you dare "improve") Denver's weird and wonderful restaurant, Casa Bonita

I do love the experience of Casa Bonita, especially that humid blast of chlorine-scented air that hits you when you walk in the door.

But the food does suck and should be improved

2 Likes

In the Chicago area, traditional Mexican food is widespread, and my favorites tend to be the little places in strip malls or repurposed former chain restaurants*. There’s also a local variety that’s served on pita bread, typically at gyros joints.

* I love seeing a former Taco Bell location repurposed as an actual Mexican restaurant.

3 Likes

I believe Pancho’s (TX chain) is the same. There was a reference to it on King of the Hill (at least, I assume that was supposed to be Pancho’s, and not Casa Bonita). Bill Dauerive declares, “Mmm, this calls for sopapillas!” & someone obliges by raising the flag.

IIRC they make a great margarita; I remember liking the food. And, yeah, really nice outdoor area if it isn’t too hot (like you said: slring/autumn). But as for old family-run places in Ft. Worth, I remember really liking Benito’s, although I haven’t eaten there in ages.

My absolute favorite was El Azteca in East Austin. It closed a few years back, but I’ve heard the family had since opened a new place in Hutto.

Zacatacos on 71st & Pulaski.

Also, went to Casa Bonita once back in 2009 or so. I didn’t see the charm, but it was probably the company I was with at the time. The divers took me by surprise.

1 Like

It’s worth giving genuine fans a shot at preserving it, but yeah, sometimes the nature of living treasures is that they die of natural causes, and keeping them alive is just cruel.

IDK if this is one of those cases, but often what makes things charming is that they don’t make financial or esthetic sense, which is why you won’t see it anywhere else. And to “fix” something like that is to break it.

1 Like

Best middle eastern food I ever had was in an old taco bell, the really old design with the brick archways in the front!

2 Likes

My favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant in Plano, TX ( El Norte ) is in an old Taco Bueno building.

2 Likes

It could definitely be improved upon. In fact, most things in Denver could use a spruce up.

i think i actually printed that one to a PDF or something and tried to save it. it was maybe the best discussion i’ve ever read here.

omg i LOVED Elitch’s! well, and Lakeside too. they were both great.

1 Like

You know, if they didn’t already have a space, that location probably would have been good for the new Meow Wolf.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.