Say goodbye to the circus before it vanishes forever

Searching for [quote=“kaibeezytentroy, post:81, topic:69589”]
All of the elephants packed their trunks
[/quote] on google books brought up this article.

https://books.google.com/books?id=iyQzAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA330#v=onepage&q&f=false

Be sure to read to the very end!

Even before Cirque was ever a thing there’s been chinese and russian acrobat troops. And i’ve also saw some years back a show/demonstration with some shaolin monks that was amazing.

1 Like

Sorry, there is nothing incredible about seeing elephants playing ball with another. They were bullied and beaten into performing those tricks. They were shackled and hauled around the country. What is incredible is seeing these majestic, intelligent beings socializing in their natural habitats – even if it’s via a documentary. That would be something for children to remember.

1 Like

Yes, yes it is. So, uhm, how does that comport with you using your happy childhood memories to now, as an intelligent adult, endorse paying to see elephants performing in a circus?

No thanks, I won’t be going to any circus that makes animals perform. Animals in circuses are carted nonstop around the country in all weather extremes, are housed in barren cages and concrete arena basements, and are beaten into performing. Human-only circuses like Cirque du Soleil are where it’s at.

That is rotten advice. If you want your kids to learn about elephants, show them documentaries that are full of riveting information and scenes of them in nature, not elephants onstage who have been beaten into submission and treated like props.

I was going to mention Circus Flora. My spouse and I have started going every year as a sort of anniversary tradition. While there’s usually some equestrian stuff and trained dogs or cats, the acrobats are really the main attraction.

1 Like

You don’t have to be an “expert at animal behavior” to realize that it’s cruel to tear baby elephants from their mothers, keep them in chains, beat them with metal-tipped hooks to force them to do tricks, and cart them around the country in fetid boxcars, as circuses do to elephants they force to perform. I’d no sooner take a child to a circus that uses elephants than I would take them a dogfight.

So we have just had 3 drive by posters stating the obvious that has already been stated before multiple times.
Like they don’t bother to read all the comments of us regular denizens saying the same thing.

Well @Lucy_Post, @Kim_Marie, and @Rose_Louise if you are indeed different people.
Nobody here (other than the guy who wrote the article) disagrees with you and we have already taken him to task about it.

@falcor I think all that needs to be said has been said, close this one out a bit early?

5 Likes

I tend to agree.

Exit

I’d like to give our new users a Laurel, and Hardy welcome. But I think this thread is pretty done.

3 Likes