Circus sells jars of lion poop to make ends meet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/13/circus-sells-jars-of-lion-poop.html

4 Likes

So they selling stuff that can be put in a paper bag and lit on fire on Carole Baskin’s porch?

9 Likes

Reminds me of two stories. The apocryphal one is the one about the zoo that sold elephant poop as compostable material. The story goes that the gardener who invested in some used it liberally and was disappointed in his rhubarb and raspberries, but found that the bamboo canes he used grew remarkably well…
The other one is about the zoo that sold tiger poop. Apparently it discouraged the neighbourhood cats. I would be interested to know if the lion poop here worked against bears, in the U.S.A. Of course, it would need to be refreshed regularly…

2 Likes

It seems like a bonus that it comes in a smashable glass jar just in case you want to accidentally drop it on someone’s door step.

1 Like

Nothing on their website, though:
https://www.circus-krone.com/

1 Like

Well, shit:

http://www.maisondelanature.ch/expositions/exposition-2020-oh-crotte.xhtml

2 Likes

6 Likes

Seem to remember reading about 60’s protesters smearing themselves with tiger poop from the local zoo as the smell frightened off police dogs and horses. I’d look it up, but we live in Trumpian times. Possibly Mick Farren wrote about it. They’re missing their market!

3 Likes

Maybe their web updating is scheiße, or as you apparently say auf Deutsch, “poo”

Tastes like chicken?

1 Like

In Munich they would probably say Mist.

2 Likes

Walked past the place today, can confirm that the stand is there. Won’t buy any, though. I live in an apartment and my dog shits enough as it is.

And I think the Münchner term to use here is Kacke. Although calling a test a Kot Review does have a certain punny charm. Ahem.

5 Likes

I just found it odd that they called it “Mr. Poo” using the English rather than German. They refer to the jars’ contents as kot, but the mascot is in English. Is there no one in Germany that doesn’t speak English?

Oh, one other thing I should mention, is that the circus had gotten a lot of bad press in recent years about the conditions the animals are kept in, as it’s one of the last that still keeps big cats, elephants and such. And the normal cages are much smaller than in zoos, even if the animals are exercised daily. So selling lion crap and using the proceeds to fund humane animal care is kind of a PR move.

3 Likes

No one who works in PR/marketing does, apparently.
The best they can usually manage is Denglisch.
Und jetzt nehm’ ich meinen Bodybag und geh’ zum Public Viewing.

Oh, and Kot is just a word for excrement you’d use in texts like an academic paper or something official, not as a swear word. Another word for excrement is Exkrement, almost always used as its plural, Exkremente.

1 Like

It’s become their mane source of income

7 Likes

Great practical joke to play on your cat just put a scoop of it in the liter box and wait for the reaction.

3 Likes

Predator urine and scat has no effect on rodents. My cats and dogs don’t keep the mice out. Even dead mice stuck in traps do not keep the mice from getting caught in the same trap.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe don’t promote businesses that treat animals like this. Got through about 2 seconds of the video and stopped when the fool kissed the lion. Someone should tell him about Roy from Siegfried and Roy.

Finally, something to keep the wildebeests out of the tomatoes.

1 Like