Scandinavian metal cover of Toto's "Africa"

Having just listened into some more of Moracchioli’s tracks, I’d say the contrast between fast and rough instrumental lines and clear, slower vocals is pretty much his signature sound. Not really new (punk rock has been doing so for decades), but still a nice way to walk the line between original and cover.

1 Like

Ideally, I’d like to get the assessment of a non English speaker for this one. I’m pretty sure that the impression of vocal warmth is not a product of the lyrics being cheerier than the traditionally metal comparison samples; but my theories about the origin of my affective impressions are, obviously, not terribly impressive evidence even by n=1 standards.

Getting the impression of someone who definitely isn’t being influenced by the lyrics, since they don’t understand them, would be interesting.

I would note that you definitely can go full ‘metal’ on lyrically innocuous material(though the comedic potential of doing so often induces people to take some of the edge off); and that you can also definitely get vocally innocuous takes on super dark lyrics(the odds seem to be about 50/50 when a female vocalist is doing something ‘folk/traditional’); but cannot confirm that my impression in this case is unrelated to the lyrics rather than the vocals.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.