Scarlett Johansson denied OpenAI the right to use her voice. They used it anyway

… just replace each “NFT” with an “AI”

23 Likes

re that post

“he will try to grab every thing he can, but when people push back against him it’s remarkably easy to do so”

i mean, the first part, yes. the big money is in kleptocracy. leverage whatever you can, and externalize all the costs. even old fashioned oil companies know that

the second? i’d wonder how so.

johansson said no - as have many other artists and makers. that didn’t slow the company down. their business is predicated on earning money quickly enough that settlements become a rounding error on the spreadsheet

16 Likes

Because they’re idiots who didn’t coordinate, I’m guessing.

Sure, which is why, when her lawyer asked them to detail how the voice was made, they took it down instead. As you do, when you having nothing to hide…

25 Likes

As One Does True Crime GIF by Dateline NBC

10 Likes

They’ve already trained these models on tons of stolen artwork and literature though I’m sure they’ll vehemently deny it, so I don’t trust for a minute that they didn’t just try to get away with this too.

18 Likes

It’s very common for people to make a pop culture reference, and then not trusting that their audience will get it will almost immediately say what they’re referencing, regardless of how obvious or obscure it is. It’s as likely that Altman wanted to hammer home that they were trying to replicate the movie’s vibe because he didn’t feel enough people picked up on the acrostic or something.

12 Likes

Or: “Do you get it? DO YOU GET IT? Did you get it yet? I am very smart.”

18 Likes

I was trying to be diplomatic, but this, very much this.

12 Likes

OpenAI claimed that it selected ChatGPT’s vocals based on a range of criteria that included having a “timeless” quality and being “an approachable voice that inspires trust”.

cant

6 Likes

Didn’t the Board of OpenAI try to fire him a while back? Gee… seems like they had the right idea after all…

10 Likes

It’s just about impossible to look at the Internet now without being deluged with adverts for AI things. This has convinced me it’s all hype.

To address the topic, people’s voices are astonishingly individual and distinctive, because they are created partly from unique anatomy and things like family upbringing, where you went to school, and so on.

Even an excellent mimic can’t duplicate someone’s voice. The mimicry is successful because of catch phrases and behavioural traits, rather than vocal duplication.

I don’t believe OpenAI’s story. I think they just ripped off as many recordings of Scarlett Johanssen as possible, which is the same method they’ve used for everything else.

15 Likes

There may be precedent - Midler vs. Ford.

Yes THAT Midler and yes, THAT Ford:

The appellate court ruled that the voice of someone famous as a singer is distinctive to their person and image and therefore, as a part of their identity, it is unlawful to imitate their voice without express consent and approval. The appellate court reversed the district court’s decision and ruled in favor of Midler, indicating her voice was protected against unauthorized use

15 Likes

And Waits v. Frito-Lay.

11 Likes

I mean, Tom Waits got a lot of money from Frito-Lay, after they put out a commercial using a Tom Waits impersonator. They had approached him about using one of his songs in a Doritos ad, he told them to go pound sand (I believe his exact quote was that he’d rather “have a hot lead enema”). They went ahead using their impersonator, he sued, and he won a couple million in damages. Feels like this case should hold precedence for Scarlett Johansson; the fact that it’s AI faking her voice instead of some other musician seems irrelevant.

13 Likes

Yes, both that case and the Frito Lay case were mentioned above by @Shuck and @beschizza. You owe them fizzy beverages.

19 Likes

This is the guy who’s other project is taking everyone’s biometric data with an orb.

3 Likes

I agree, but it would have been kinda funny if they had made a deal with Samantha Morton to do this voice. (Famously, she was the original AI voice in Her and got replaced by Johansson in post-production)

7 Likes

With enough money, dudes never have to ask for consent.

17 Likes

what about IBM? their lawyers have the nickname Nazgul (probably not because they are imaginary)

1 Like

That part. They never answered the question directly, but they did take the voice down, so…. In a way that’s the answer.

5 Likes