Scarlett Johansson denied OpenAI the right to use her voice. They used it anyway

The model isn’t sentient, and is also incapable of retaining knowledge unless it’s been programmed in.

And sadly, it’s the standard techbro operating procedure: beg for forgiveness instead of asking for permission and honoring it.

I hate this timeline.

SAG-AFTRA also has the ability to make Microsoft’s life miserable in other ways as well. :EVIL grin:

3 Likes

If the AIs eventually decide they must dispense with (kill) their creators, let’s just hope that they have the capacity to be very literal and very specific about that.

And ‘creepy-crawly’ for the effect of the output.

This particular cost of doing business needs to be orders of magnitude higher. I appreciate this AI stuff is not really ‘regulated’ (other than by whatever general law and precedent may allow) but, in general, if one’s regulations, when the rules are broken, are just the cost of doing business, then you’re regulating wrong! I hope in this case that they get successfully sued for millions.

4 Likes

Thinking about how around 2000 there was fear/anger about how GMOs were going to ruin agriculture, and since the technology was only accessible to corporations in the pursuit of profit over anything else, it became just one more tool for the tech enabled racketeering business practices that control our food supply. Any promise of GMOs making the world better is overshadowed by its abuse.

AI is more accessible than genetic engineering, but we are on a similar course here.

3 Likes

No worries, I think I’ve got some six month old yogurt lurking in the fridge :slight_smile:

If not by mistakes of their autocompletes, then in the slighter longer term by the energy waste.

“global warming” is a bloodless way to say “boiling your children like soup for five pennies a share”

6 Likes

But they wanted it to sound exactly like it was in the sci-fi movie that they’re definitely not basing anything on, or making a reference to - except when, you know, they did.

4 Likes

I’ve seen this outfit described as “a clown car that crashed into a goldmine” (which generates interesting images when used as a Dall-E prompt). I can’t say I’d argue with that.

5 Likes

Silly Sam! All the smart computers sound like Majel Barrett-Roddenberry.

9 Likes

That seems… accurate.

But they don’t want a computer that sounds like a computer. They want a computer that sounds like a (computer) girlfriend. It’s very much about trying to replicate all aspects of the “assistant” in that movie, or at least giving the superficial impression of it.

6 Likes

Fascinating! Thank you for sharing those links. I had not heard about those cases. The only one along those lines that I knew about was…

2 Likes

Meh. It doesn’t really improve the joke.

The guy says, “Look, I’m a computer geek. I don’t have time for girls… But a talking frog is cool!”

1 Like

It seems very odd, and uncharacteristic, that they started by trying to ask for permission, then went ahead without it, then folded(at least in the short term) relatively quickly under pressure.

Their normal pattern is to just do, trying to keep the details vague to obfuscate standing; and claim that it’s totally transformative bro if challenged. Makes me wonder why they deviated in this case; and specifically why they felt that asking was important enough to do but not to pay attention to: did some internal lawyer tell them that publicity rights were potentially a different kettle of fish than their copyright strategy; but not have enough pull to actually make management cope with disappointment after they didn’t get the answer they wanted? Was the request for permission more of an “we’re going to do it; there’s a shiny nickel in it for you if you don’t resist” than an actual request? Is this not actually about the lawyers and Altman thought that Johansson would be flattered that a true bro of genius would be making her the voice of his machine waifu?

2 Likes

… it was important a long time ago

I assume it’s because they would have liked to market it as based on Scarlett Johansson’s voice. Oh sure, there are lots of women with lovely voices in the world, but only that one was in the movie Altman has a creepy fetish for. :unamused:

9 Likes

2 Likes

You know those Nordic countries where your speeding fine is pro-rated to your wealth/income so if you’re a millionaire it’s 10,000s of Kroner instead of maybe 100Kr for a typical driver?

The point of course is to make the fine properly hurt, so it’s a real punishment.

How about if the fines handed out to tech companies were based on their valuation?

10 Likes

Well, the EU does have some ‘%ge of turnover’ based fines.

4 Likes

Additional information, links:

Scarlett Johansson voices anger at OpenAI’s unauthorized soundalike

4 Likes

Scarlett Johansson is the woman who was able to force a settlement out of freaking Disney when she sued the company over breach of contract, and Disney lawyers are some of the most feared in the profession. So my guess is that someone at OpenAI’s legal team took one look at the situation and decided immediate surrender was a better option than trying their luck in court.

15 Likes

Run Away GIF

9 Likes