Scarlett Johansson talks about working with Bill Murray on "Lost in Translation"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/02/scarlett-johansson-talks-about.html

4 Likes

You had me at Scarlett Johansson, you lost me at Howard douche bag Stern.

17 Likes

She seems to be trying hard to not say something in particular about Murray. I wonder how his behavior was on the set.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s my thought too! I would pay money to know what is NOT being said in that interview.

1 Like

Hmm, what wasn’t being said must have been something I missed. I thought this was one of the most boring interviews I’ve seen lately.

1 Like

Bill Murray may be a national treasure, but I’ve also heard plenty of stories about him being an insufferable diva while on set.

4 Likes

I can’t decide which is the most boring film of that decade, Lost in Translation or meet Joe Black.

2 Likes

I watched it a second time. My impression now is that Howard Stern – being Howard Stern – was herding (although gently) Scarlett down a particular path to make things more ‘interesting’ (ex: dirt on Murray), to me giving off the tiniest whiff of… agenda?.. and perhaps forcing her to express thoughts about LIT and BM that she had not previously considered before because… well… it previously just wasn’t significant or troublesome enough for her before.

As far as Scarlett’s responses, her seemingly not-quite-formed thoughts and self questioning attitude seemed more a product of having to dredge up a then 17-year old’s impressions (being new and amongst ‘big names’).

7 Likes

STERN: When a film earns $119 million, are you blown away by that?

JOHANSSON: laughs in Marvel

13 Likes

The guy is famous for interviews, but holy crap does he suck at them–it’s more about him stamping his take on things as opposed to getting something out of the person he is interviewing. I had to stop watching that video–ugh.

9 Likes

Well, it’s not Lost In Translation. That film is a work of art.

17 Likes

Lost in Translation is certainly not fast paced. It’s slow, meandering, and at times ponderous. But boring? Absolutely not. It’s a wonderful film.

It demonstrated that Sofia Coppola was more than a nepotistic punchline and that she had some real talent. (Just maybe not as an actress - and by her own admission acting was never a passion of hers.)

12 Likes

I find his interviewing technique awful frankly.
Constantly feeding the answers.

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad. I missed everything that wasn’t said.

1 Like

Talk about leading the witness. He sure does put a lot of words in her mouth.

3 Likes

This was my impression as well; Stern was fishing around for an “inappropriate behavior” trail, and all he got was “I was 17 years old, I didn’t really know what the hell was going on, but it all came out great so here I am.”

5 Likes

Agreed. That’s why I’m kind of surprised that this is an example of Stern being a great interviewer.
“Tell me how awesome it was to work with Bill Murray.”
"well, it was difficult and odd. and …
“But how great was it to work with Bill Murray?”

5 Likes

To be slightly fair, it was pretty good for an indie art-house film made quickly on a tiny budget. It’s a whole order of magnitude more than Ghost World made, for instance. But I guess Stern is not interested in knowing what it was like to work with Thora Birch or Steve Buscemi.

5 Likes

I reckon it is easily superior to Broken Flowers, the other film about Bill Murray doing nothing.

2 Likes

I would have thought Stern would have asked something naughty about working with Thora Birch at least!