Scary drone footage of a Tesla in autopilot trying to make a left turn

It’s all fun and games until the New Machine Jihad takes them all over…

(Simon Morden’s Petrovich novels are well worth a read!)

1 Like

They actually don’t need everyone to get huge improvements in safety, without even getting to full autonomy. Just being able to pretension seatbelts in the X% of crashes between 2 equipped vehicles, or controlled brake application in select circumstances could save a lot of lives. It was one of the ideas behind the proposal of DSRC back in 1999. The NHTSA estimates over 1000 lives a year could be saved with V2V communications. It isn’t close to solving our massive vehicular death problem, but would be a huge step forward. Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication | NHTSA

3 Likes

one thing im really surprised by is that basically it’s been okay to test ai driving, but assisted driving in the form of heads up displays ( ex. highlighting pedestrians at night, showing stopping distances between vehicles, displaying alerts and assistance to protect against side collisions, … ) is still not allowed ( so far as i understand )

making driving safer seems like something an ai could help with, but companies and regulations seem to be trying to jump over that step.

2 Likes

While relatively benign, his use of a drone hovering directly over the roadway is illegal and irresponsible. This is particularly true if he’s just parking it there himself and relying on it’s flying tripod mode to hold position. Grump!

3 Likes

Yeah, the risk of adversarial attacks have been pointed out and is already a thing. Car manufacturers still seem to be hopelessly unprepared for this, the Chrysler recall being a notable example but have they learned anything since? Hacking the latest model of computer on four wheels is a staple of DEF CON at this point. Kia got hit by a ransomware attack recently and thinking forward a few years you can only imagine it’ll be a short hop through their servers to the cars themselves.

2 Likes

16 Likes

My point was really that transponders don’t solve the autonomous vehicle problem, especially when you’ll necessarily have a bunch of vehicles (and other moving objects) that don’t have them. And despite having been talking about it since the '50s - at least - no one has implemented them.

Either I’m experiencing some serious déjà vu as I read this thread – or it’s simply that every thread regarding Tesla and autonomous driving eventually becomes the same.

5 Likes

I’m pleasantly surprised the Musk fanbois haven’t completely de-railed it yet. Usually they’d be demanding that everyone acknowledge that the video shows the autopilot working perfectly, just as their God-Emperor intended.

8 Likes

I was cringing watching as the car waited to turn with the steering wheel turned. Yikes.

I was taught that was a no-no - a rear-end collision will drive you across the oncoming traffic. Not a common problem, but fairly easy to avoid: wait until the car starts rolling before turning the wheel.

7 Likes

You likely do; assuming you’re in the US I believe the autopilot on city streets beta is in the hands of a thousand or more people and I believe is not bound by geographical limitations in the us.

4 Likes

Were there other drivers waiting behind him to make the left turn? I didn’t see any.

Just in general, every day we’re on the road with student drivers out practicing their driving skills, people test driving vehicles they’re considering buying, people going for a “Sunday drive”, mechanics driving about to make sure they’ve got that thing fixed, car reviewers driving demo models, etc. - They’re not going to any meaningful destination, just driving around in circles! Creating congestion!

As long as he got someone else to manage the drone for him so he was just managing the car, I don’t see an issue.

I wonder if Musk fans are going to start insisting that is now the correct way to wait to make your turn.

Hunh, nobody had better start a rumour that Musk is one of those guys who know better than all the gun safety instructors and prove it by pointing loaded unsafed pistols at their dinks.

5 Likes

Dangerous transportation, indeed.

3 Likes

2npRRk

6 Likes

We’re still talking about Ultron Musk, right?

4 Likes

Sorry, I’m of the “if you’re being honked at, it’s already too late” persuasion. Don’t be blocking someone’s potential way in the first place.

1 Like

You will be murdered by a small shell script.

2 Likes

I continue to be gobsmacked that smartphone navigation shows the speed limit of the section of road you’re on, knows your speed with great precision, yet has not even the option to display a delta of the two.

2 Likes

Waze (now owned by Google) has a circular progress bar showing the current and posted speed limit. It changes colors when you exceed it.

3 Likes

The Tesla dashboard shows if there are any vehicles behind. In the video there wasn’t any case where he was holding up any vehicles behind him.

1 Like