School board candidate checks out all LGBTQ books displayed at public library to make it a "safe place for children"

Sounds like the library should have some pearl necklaces people can check out whenever they need something to clutch in horror

15 Likes

“These books are really popular. We should order more copies”

9 Likes

The Frederick County, MD alt-right must be jealous of all the press the Loudoun County, VA alt-right just across the Potomac has been getting.

5 Likes

A good parent, with multiple kids in tow, will quickly blow through that limit. Kids are voracious readers, but each volume can be thin.

At my library, the limit is 50 (three weeks per checkout, three renewals allowed)

However, new books can only be checked out for two weeks, rather than three at a time.

7 Likes

Oh, not that bad. Maybe I should have used an /s

Back in the 70’s there weren’t many kids actively interested in my local library. So if you were a reader, rather than a footie-lovin’ tearaway, there was clearly something wrong with you.

11 Likes

Oh, they wish they were half as well funded and popular. They can’t seem to get any traction here and they are livid about it. One of them, Cindy Rose, keeps running over and over again for the school board and keeps losing.

EDIT: removed the rest because I misremembered. It was one of her co-conspirators, and the book she didn’t want her child reading was “Thousand Splendid Suns,” because of the “violence.” Same kid was allowed to read “Game of Thrones.”

20 Likes

Fletcher says she’ll no longer visit any county libraries, adding “this has nothing to do with the gay community. It has to do with the preservation of innocence,” according to the News-Post.

I think the word you’re looking for is “ignorance”.

Thank you to the Westlink Branch Library in Wichita for giving me the resources to learn and figure this out for myself.

18 Likes

Old School Reaction GIF

21 Likes

It has to do with the preservation of innocence.

There is a point in life, much earlier than what this person thinks, where that type of innocence becomes ignorance.

11 Likes

“It has nothing to do with the gay community,”

Other than she ONLY took LGBTQ+ books from the display and made zero remarks about all the OTHER books whose covers and contents were readily accessible to children as well but were not about the LGBTQ+ community.

“Don’t talk about sex and gender” they say, “unless it’s sex and gender we’re okay with.”

18 Likes

The Gileadists deny the existence of gender. They believe it is a lie from Satan. They believe that there is only sex, and that will determine your entire future.

They also deny the existence of intersex, and will force surgery on children to make them fit into their social structure.

19 Likes

so in effect, her religious beliefs are more important than anyone else’s right to read a book. she sounds nice.

8 Likes

Calling it now: School board candidate Heather Fletcher of Frederick County, Maryland, has sexually assaulted at least one child under the age of 16.

2 Likes

fuck my life bang head GIF

8 Likes

“It has to do with the preservation of innocence,”

1. ‘As long as you don’t infringe on my 2nd Amendment rights.’
  2. ‘The active shooter drills don’t frighten the innocent children.’
  3. Other fundamentalist religious/sexist/fascist bullshit as required.
10 Likes

Nobody tell her that the library may have more than one copy of a specific title. If she never returns them I hope the late fees bankrupt her. Although she is already morally bankrupt.

6 Likes

Do libraries have SWAT teams for book recovery? It being the USA and all. /s

11 Likes

That’s all really good to hear. Congratulations on your sane and reasonable county.

11 Likes

This stuff becomes genuinely scary when people actually vote for these nutcases and they win.

“I don’t like these books therefore no one should read them:” is as evil as it gets and ten times more so when the same people claim to be in favor of 'freedom" and wave the flag and claim they stand for America.

11 Likes

Good job. I recently applied for and was accepted as a trustee in my local library district that opened up due to a resignation. Part of my desire was to help ensure that the library will be viable now and in the future. I’m not sure what my life would be like without libraries. Certainly not as rich and interesting.

But another driver in my decision was garbage like this. Hateful people trying to take over institutions that try to serve the entire community. It’s not a monumental lift on my part, but every little bit helps.

22 Likes