School locks 11-year-old Texan boy in solitary after he asks for grief counseling

But he questioned authority!!! Failure to immediately and without conditions submit to the authority placed over you will be met with overwhelming force!!

(I could only wish for /s)

11 Likes

Poor Boy! He tries to do right and that miserable principal does her best to cause even more harm and pain. He’s an honors student, school and education mean something to him and the one person who had done some positive work for him is transferred. Since she had a connection with him why couldn’t he have had arrangements made to continue receiving her help. They were able to transfer the boy after their abuse of him hit the public. It would have been a lot easier to have made arrangements for him to see her than this disaster they created. They only want to help him after their shit hit the public fan. I’m not a lawsuit freak but in this case a major suit might help say a lot more kids from the reach of this twisted child hater. He at least deserves free access to treatment for the harm done even if it runs past the time of his school age years.
It’s insane that kids go to school with the real concern of being in a shooting. When they get to school they find some subhuman child hater trying to make their life more complicated and miserable. Meanwhile people sit around and don’t get involved in elections but whine about kids these days. Wise up folks, these kids are our future, show some love.

14 Likes

Oh boy. Now Gov. (Mo)Ron has a new ides
gove_is_idiot

4 Likes

I figure it’s a bullying tactic, not too different from “why are you hitting yourself? Stop hitting yourself!” but backed up with official power.

12 Likes

We could create legal protections for minors and/or modify the existing laws in the State so that children are protected from this kind of naked authoritarian abuse. Like that’s a thing we could do to prevent just infinitely paying more in taxes to bail out assholes in school administrations and law enforcement who get sued for egregious abuse like this.

15 Likes

It’s a complicated plan, I know… :grimacing:

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Bachelor

16 Likes

sctv-smash-tv

5 Likes

This was no mistake. This was deliberate retaliation against a child sticking up for their rights.

How do we fix this? @Mindysan33 pretty much gave the road map.

17 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

It’s deceptively simple and very complicated, too. :sob:

19 Likes

these replies appear to have missed my “practical working solutions” comment.
you really believe “stop electing fascists” is a practical solution that’s going to happen (anytime soon)? you are aware of the large percentage of our population that swallowed the red pill? please let me know how you get fascists to stop voting in fascists.
it’s about as empty as conservatives rhetoric saying “thoughts and prayers” to mass shooting victims families. good luck with that “road map”. i’ll be over here in the land of reality.

1 Like

Ah yes… kicking the fascists out is not practical, so, let’s just use the same broken system that led us to this point in the first place… /s

Some of us can’t afford that shit. Must be nice not to be the direct target of fascist attacks.

19 Likes

Fascists are constantly running for local offices now. School boards are favourite target for groups like the so-called “Moms for Liberty”. Run against them. Vote against them. Let them know their ideology is toxic.

Approx. 27%. A large percentage and a dangerous one, but not a majority by a longshot.

Fascists win mainly on the basis of apathy and defeatism, not because they’re amazing campaigners with ideas most people love.

18 Likes

What “practical working solutions” are going to stop fascists abusing their authority when the people who are supposed to make them obey the rules are also fascists?

6 Likes

About 27% of the population will go along with the fascists no matter what. That is a small minority. The real issue is gerrymandered districts and voter suppression. And yes, the answer to this is voting out Republicans wherever they are. Confronting them when they expect complacence. Countering their bullshit. There is no easy, no effort way to do this. And they are certainly not going to make it easier. No way am I saying it will be painless. But (as per this story) there is a large part of the populace that is facing an existential threat and we, who have more privilege, need to be willing to be uncomfortable and stand up for them. It has to be now, because if it is not, there may not be another chance.

14 Likes

No, people seem to have understood perfectly well that you’re fine with the status quo.

It may be impossible to prevent something like this from ever happening–no solution is ever going to be perfect–but several people here have offered reasonable, even practical ideas that would make the penalties for treating a minor this way high enough to discourage adults in positions of authority from doing it. I’ll even offer another: adults in charge of students should be better trained and better vetted to weed out the sort of adults who’d do this.

Again no solution is perfect but at least trying is better than saying, “oh well, let’s just let this continue because that’s reality.”

16 Likes

I mean even in Texas I don’t think it’s entirely impossible to get a law on the books to prevent cases like this or at least reduce the likelihood.

12 Likes

Jail time for civil rights violations.

18 Likes

Without rampant gerrymandering and voter suppression, Texas is bluish-purple. What we need is federal laws protecting voting righta and blocking racial and political gerrymandering. Basically, the John Lewis Voting Rights Act from 2022, which was only a couple of Democratic votes from passing.

Is that REAL enough for ya?

14 Likes

I promise you, it’s not.
Those of us who fight the good fight here watch and listen and learn.
And remember.

Timothy Murray, 11-year old, grieving son, honors student and whistleblower, will remember how he was treated.

And by whom.

I’d bet my last dollar on that, in a heartbeat.

Yeah, there is an

that is being done to the people of Texas by shady corrupt people being paid (oh so very often) by monies paid by the people of Texas.

Plenty of Texans I know are fighting that, and more. I’m proud of Timothy, and of the Texas Observer–one scrappy, come-back-from-incredible-odds news outlet. Good job y’all. And… let there be light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in

Dare to fight it.
Especially if you don’t like it.

I do believe the Texas Observer has page to take donations and a page to subscribe and join, in case you want to thank 'em.

20 Likes

What’s even on the Page-a-day Texan Dystopian Hellworld Calendar App?
Grief Counselor Requested → Grievance Upon Administrator Requested
Yeah that’s some advanced Wordle and biofilm-ing…
bill nye netflix GIF

7 Likes