School: Please don't throw your children over the gate when they are tardy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/16/school-please-dont-throw-your-children-over-the-gate-when-they-are-tardy.html

7 Likes

Fetchez le garçon!

30 Likes

That could be a long wait if it’s a Centenarian Math.

15 Likes

As the parents fling their children over the fence, they say, “Bon Appetit.”

12 Likes

Most schools I’ve seen just make you send tardy children to the front office as part of a public shaming ritual for late arrivals. This makes it sound like they lower the portcullis or something.

21 Likes

Soon:

The lord closes a door but opens a window.

30 Likes

They have abandoned The Rake Steelyard.

Throwing children over the gate makes more sense than not throwing the children over the gate.

As a parent, I’ve been as frustrated as I imagine these parents have been, and close to throwing certain young humans over gates, proverbially and literally. It’s a dang miracle that this sort of thing does not happen more of the time.

ETA:
I had to reread part of Anathem to check the reference, now corrected

7 Likes

Don’t they have wire cutters over there?

7 Likes

Obvious solution: don’t lock the fucking gate. Shit happens; be more flexible. Sheesh.

30 Likes

The accompanying video does not show any children being thrown over any gates. I am disappoint.

18 Likes

Now that’s a commitment to education!

3 Likes

Is the direction of derivation right for “apert”? Isn’t it just as much the other way around?

I was thinking the same thing. Why bother closing the gate then if this is causing additional and more problematic issues? Just let the parents bring the kids in and check them into the school as being tardy

16 Likes

“Why is there so much government regulation?”

(points at story)

Note: I know this is school policy, not government regulation, but the same reasons apply. People do stupid shit, government passes a law. Rinse, repeat. And then some many years later everyone is bitching and moaning about “too much regulation” and forget the very real and good reason the regulations were created.

4 Likes

This school seems staffed by particularly rigid people: they will force you to wait at least 90 min. to drop your kid at school if you are even 5 min. late. Normally you have to ring at the door and you get told off while your kid rejoins class, which makes it possible for you to get to your office in time. With this attitude, I am not surprised that some parents would do stupid things in order to avoid being late at work themselves.

16 Likes

I assume the gate is closed for some other reason, like keeping random people out. I can imagine the conversation:
“We keep getting random adults wandering through our school. What should we do?”
“Maybe put up a gate we can lock once the school day starts.”
“Hmm. Aren’t you worried that parents who are running late will just toss their children over the gate?”
“No. WTF is wrong with you to even think of that?!”

21 Likes
6 Likes

Because France.
Having had children in French public school, I can understand the temptation to send your kids over the fence.
It probably varies a bit, but schools in France are not open door affairs and more like a barracks or bunker. Aside from kindergarten, I don’t really remember being allowed in as a parent without an appointment. When the bell rings at the start of the day, the door is locked until lunch.

I came late on more than one occasion, and it was never taken lightly. It usually involved ringing a doorbell and waiting until someone came around to open the door and let me know how much I have just inconvenienced them, how irresponsible it is and how they normally wouldn’t answer the door at all (they always did).

24 Likes

This was near Avignon?

Il y a besoin d’un pont sur le portail.

On y danse sur le pont d’Avignon, n’est-ce pas?

On ne jette pas les enfants sur le pont d’Avignon!

3 Likes

Better than under the bus I suppose.

3 Likes