Sci-Fi Sundays: Worlds Of If, January 1964

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/12/sci-fi-sundays-worlds-of-if.html

1 Like

Beautiful imagination. When this art was created we knew of only nine planets and wondered about life in our neighborhood. Today we have found thousands of planets, making the neighborhood bigger each time. When we meet the neighbors our beautiful imagination will expand too.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! 11 y/o me remembers some of these illustrations (the ads) from paging through Asimov’s and Analog magazines in the used book store! I probably still have some of them.

Anyone know if the Rosicrucians are benign rather than some Scientology type scam? Because if I get a chance to drive this thing, I’m all in.

2 Likes

Hey, I bought one of those sets of bookplates, the one on the upper right with the guy reading and a BEM and robot looking over his shoulders. Earlier than 1964, though; by then I was a freshman in college.

I would point out that $4 in 1964 is $31 today; those things were expensive.

3 Likes

It’s … lets say … complicated.

AMORC represents just one branch of “modern” rosicrucianism. From time to time there are allegations that they’re a cult but it’s not clear cut. I got the impression of a weird mystic self help kinda thing. They offer free online courses and stuff but the core of their teachings and accompanying rituals is taught via send by mail books and pamphlets.

There are definitively cultish rosicrucian organizations - e.g. Lectorium Rosicrucianum

Many other rosicrucian organizations have just leftover masonic elements (AMORC), some are more or less (christian) masonic (i.e. Martinists).

One could argue that rosicrucianism is an misunderstood metaphor/allegorical statement that has gone too far.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.