Sci-Fi Sundays: Worlds of IF, March 1968

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/09/sci-fi-sundays-worlds-of-if-2.html

2 Likes

I think that “Witzend” illo is by Wood not Bode. No proof, just a feeling over the years.

4 Likes

Yup, the “witzend” ad is by none other that Wally Wood, one of the great illustrators of MAD Magazine’s early years. If you know his work (as jimp^ clearly does) you can spot it a mile away.

4 Likes

“Slowboat Cargo” is the serialized version of Niven’s novel A Gift from Earth. Possibly his best overall novel.

A lot of good illustrations in this issue.

I’m guessing that the “Scribe X.B.G.” deal in the Rosicrucians advert is a way for the organization to know which ads in which magazines are paying off.

2 Likes

I was curious about Viril Finlay - never heard of him. That dude was rad. cool. hip. Lit. whatever the kids say these days.

3 Likes

Agreed, Finlay is quite good. I’ve always been very fond of very detailed, fine black-and-white work. That’s some bad-ASS ink! I wish he’d done comics, as well…

2 Likes

Second the “A gift from Earth” love. Though it is very much a juvenile wish fulfillment story, it is very pleasing in its structure, hero, and semi resolution.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.