Science FTW

Let me preface this by saying that, for those who don’t already know, I grow oyster mushrooms at home and have for some time. I had no idea they were vicious hunters and users of chemical weapons! Nature is so much weirder than we can possibly understand.

(Trigger warning: In the article, there are descriptions of the many ways different fungi dispatch their prey. I had no idea!)

18 Likes

Season 6 What GIF by Paramount+

Nature is weird!

7 Likes

Very cool.

16 Likes

“The researchers note that the work was done so long ago that they are not even able to identify the hominids that made them.”

10 Likes

I guess that’s one way to avoid citing someone. :wink:

11 Likes

Compared with those of similar weight, people who underwent one of four types of weight loss surgery were 16% less likely to die from any cause, the study found.

“Deaths from cardiovascular disease decreased by 29%, while deaths from various cancers decreased by 43%, which is pretty impressive,” said lead author Ted Adams, an adjunct associate professor in nutrition and integrative physiology at the University of Utah’s School of Medicine.

“There was also a huge percentage drop — a 72% decline — in deaths related to diabetes in people who had surgery compared to those who did not,” he said. One significant downside: The study also found younger people who had the surgery were at higher risk for suicide.

10 Likes

There is so much not understood about this. There are studies showing improvement in type 2 diabetes following bariatric surgery immediately. Prior to any actual weight loss.

Weird stuff. WDKS, man.

16 Likes

An interesting experiment, but lightning rods already work fine and help people.

8 Likes

Maybe the point is eventually to channel the lightning somewhere specific, at someone specific, though?

10 Likes

Don’t cross the streams. That would be bad.

8 Likes

Chris Hemsworth Thor GIF by Marvel Studios

We already got that!

7 Likes
10 Likes
13 Likes

So it isn’t cultural, it’s biology?

• says every mom everywhere
10 Likes

I didn’t know that orcas were Italian.

8 Likes
20 Likes

That reminds me of the glass installation that did its job in Florida:

14 Likes

Ye gods, I had not seen that image before.
Holy crap!

7 Likes

Black holes are the source of dark energy.

11 Likes

As a layman, it drops into place perfectly for me. But that’s all the more reason to do the actual research to figure it out!

6 Likes