Science FTW

Nothing sucks more than a supermassive black hole

Except for Nebraska, perhaps.

4 Likes
10 Likes
13 Likes

Love these guys. Valuable info for the inevitable denier arguments ahead.

11 Likes

Cool!

13 Likes
17 Likes

This either fits here or in Whatcha Whatchin’?

8 Likes

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2210834?query=featured_home

Trial of Hybrid Closed-Loop Control in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes

List of authors.

• R. Paul Wadwa, M.D.,* Zachariah W. Reed, M.S.,* Bruce A. Buckingham, M.D.,* Mark D. DeBoer, M.D.,* Laya Ekhlaspour, M.D.,* Gregory P. Forlenza, M.D.,* Melissa Schoelwer, M.D.,* John Lum, M.S.,* Craig Kollman, Ph.D.,* Roy W. Beck, M.D., Ph.D.,* and Marc D. Breton, Ph.D.
  • for the PEDAP Trial Study Group*

This is really exciting. Artificial pancreas for kids developed at UVA. Yay our guys! It’s been a long time coming, but maybe finally ready for prime time!

17 Likes

Would it work on now-adults who have treated type 1 their entire lives?

8 Likes

Well, the whole idea is a glucose monitor and insulin pump that talk to each other, so I would think so? But this came out of the peds department, and focused on peds patients, so not certain.

10 Likes

What I have now is pretty close. I just have to bolus for carbs, and the CGM+pump takes care of the rest.

7 Likes

We need trans women having babies together. Explode some brains.

12 Likes

Hell Yeah Gets Excited High Kick GIF

10 Likes
12 Likes
7 Likes

These are the only ones of which the news has come to Hahvard,
And there may be many others but they haven’t been discahvered.

4 Likes

https://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2023/yes-birding-does-change-your-brain

I will cross-post this in the pets & animals thread.

5 Likes

In yet another “maybe not quite ready for prime time” (but damn close, I think) post, this one is pretty exciting as we are dealing with more and more antibiotic resistant organisms.

13 Likes

Are we at all worried about the viruses mutating back around at us?

2 Likes

Movie GIF

Not really, though. We haven’t changed the virus, just selected out bacteriophages that prey on the specific bugs we want to eliminate. These guys have been in a take-no-prisoners war for literally billions of years. We are barely a blink in the face of that. Bacteriophages are very specific, and have no interest in eukaryotic cells of any sort. We have our own viruses that think we are delicious.

11 Likes