Science FTW

Anytime I use photons to estimate mass the result always comes out light.

8 Likes

No, of course not. You have to transgress the boundaries before you can move towards a transformative hermeneutics of quantum gravity. As I understand it.

6 Likes

Untitled

3 Likes

India’s Chandrayaan-3 has successfully landed on the moon, making India the fourth nation to successfully make a “soft landing” on the moon. The first at the South Pole.

10 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

Thank God! We are running out of time!! (/s)

5 Likes

When the researchers tested this system in an outdoor environment under different sunlight conditions, they achieved a maximum power production of 12 W per square meter—about 10 percent of what you’d get from a traditional solar panel.
When the researchers tested the aerogel in an outdoor environment for 24 hours, each kilogram of material was able to collect a bit under a gram of freshwater.

OK, so not the be-all-and-end-all, but for a first iteration, it is a start on something that could be interesting. Not ready to start moisture farms like on Tatooine, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Who knew that the tendons in my wrists mean I’m an evolutionary throwback, barely down from the trees? And you probably are too.

5 Likes

That ought to convince them!

3 Likes

Researchers identify the link between memory and appetite

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-08-link-memory-appetite.amp

Published today in Nature, the research notes that individuals who are obese have impaired connections between the dorsolateral hippocampus (dlHPC) and the lateral hypothalamus (LH), which may impact their ability to control or regulate emotional responses when anticipating rewarding meals or treats.

“These findings underscore that some individual’s brains can be fundamentally different in regions that increase the risk for obesity,” senior author, Casey Halpern, MD, an associate professor of Neurosurgery and Chief of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery at Penn Medicine and the Corporal Michael J. Crescenz Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

“Conditions like disordered eating and obesity are a lot more complicated than simply managing self-control and eating healthier. What these individuals need is not more willpower, but the therapeutic equivalent of an electrician that can make right these connections inside their brain.”

6 Likes

Lengthy screen time associated with childhood development delays

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-08-lengthy-screen-childhood-delays.amp

2 Likes

The answer depends on the population. The non-African populations show a relatively constant population size followed by strong growth as their ancestors migrated out of Africa. But the African populations all showed a huge drop in the population size that started around 930,000 years ago and persisted for over 100,000 years.
During this time, the effective population size—a measure of the individuals who contributed to maintaining the population—was only about 1,300 individuals. That doesn’t mean there were that few members of our ancestral lineage. Other individuals may not have mated or went off and mated in populations that didn’t contribute to our ancestry.

I read a short story a bit ago about an alien race that assessed the human progenitors as quite dangerous and decided to eliminate them. Instead, they selected for a meaner and more chaotic subspecies resulting in the elimination of their own species. I had no idea it was nonfiction.

7 Likes

What that suggests to me is that there was something going on at the time that made most of the population feel the need to migrate away. The ones who stayed – stubborn, disbelieving, unable to travel, etc. – had a very rough time of it.

4 Likes

But, if this is correct (and that is a BIG “if”) it was these who stayed who actually contributed to the founding of the human race. The ones who migrated away were lost to time, possibly as Neanderthals or Denisovans, or other yet-to-be discovered branches of our family tree. I will be very interested in how this theory pans out.

6 Likes

BBC News - Scientists grow whole model of human embryo, without sperm or egg

3 Likes
7 Likes

This is so cool! they figured out how to make water remember what you did to…
Wait, does this mean homeopathy is real?

HA!!

Yeah, that would be a big fat “no.”

(It really is cool, though)

10 Likes

Yep. It’s the stuff you have to prove your not a meth addict to buy that really works.

5 Likes