Science FTW

In the NO SHIT SHERLOCK department

Individuals experiencing food insecurity likely to binge eat when food is available

15 Likes

A really, really good interview with one of the MacArthur “genius” grants, and his ideas about cleaning up all the junk in near-earth orbit.

5 Likes

Leads me to wonder what marks the Covid pandemic will leave. Seems like it would select out certain mindsets, but is that really genetic? Probably not.

13 Likes

“We have progressively come to understand that most evolution occurs because of mutations in these non-coding regions,” Reed said. “What I hope is that this paper will be a case study that shows how people can use this combination of ATAC-seq and CRISPR to begin to interrogate these interesting regions in their own study systems, whether they work on birds or flies or worms.”

13 Likes

14 Likes

One of my favorite BoingBoing captions.

10 Likes

Needs an accent: deemèd.

5 Likes

Is it just me, or does it look like it’s dancing?

3 Likes

dance-dancing

5 Likes
10 Likes
11 Likes

:smirk_cat:
robert deniro GIF

Oh, you’re talking to each other

Tired Black Cat GIF by Cat Chmaj

15 Likes

Martian microbes could survive up to 280 million years buried underground

Ancient microbes on Mars could survive up to 280 million years if they are resistant to radiation and left buried underneath the ground in frozen, ■■■■■ conditions, according to a study published on Tuesday.

[…]

10 Likes

The condition that dare not speak its name, even on Mars.

12 Likes

That’s how they’ll kill Elon.

7 Likes

MWH__moist__FGD135

13 Likes
10 Likes

Every time I hear that song, I think about dancing to it in a disco in Köln in 1983.

Seriously. My brain is so odd!

8 Likes

… fabulousness?

3 Likes

Observation of vortices and vortex stripes in a dipolar condensate

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41567-022-01793-8

Abstract

Quantized vortices are a prototypical feature of superfluidity that have been observed in multiple quantum gas experiments. But the occurrence of vortices in dipolar quantum gases—a class of ultracold gases characterized by long-range anisotropic interactions—has not been reported yet. Here we exploit the anisotropic nature of the dipole–dipole interaction of a dysprosium Bose–Einstein condensate to induce angular symmetry breaking in an otherwise cylindrically symmetric pancake-shaped trap. Tilting the magnetic field towards the radial plane deforms the cloud into an ellipsoid, which is then set into rotation. At stirring frequencies approaching the radial trap frequency, we observe the generation of dynamically unstable surface excitations, which cause angular momentum to be pumped into the system through vortices. Under continuous rotation, the vortices arrange into a stripe configuration along the field, in close agreement with numerical simulations.

3 Likes