Scientist reviews most painful insect stings he's ever received

This guy"s descriptions were entertaining. I wouldn’t even mind reading his list of “worst farts ever” or “wounds that I’ve stanched”.

1 Like

It was in his nature.

3 Likes

Each review should end with “One star. Would not buy again.”

4 Likes

Yellowjackets are evil. Especially in late summer, that’s when they’ve all been kicked out of the nest and they are even nastier than usual.

The only thing around here that preys on them is skunks.

7 Likes

I do not know what single, wimpy fire ant he let bite him. It is not reflective of my experience with fire ants.

1 Like

Another point in favor of skunks. I’ve never really minded their smell, as long as it isn’t sprayed directly in my face. It’s evocative of driving through rural areas at night, listening to George Noory. Good times.

5 Likes

I see. The Wikipedia article on the Schmidt scale links to a Straight Dope article, which states that at least initially the “implausibly exact numbers … were wheedled out of him by an editor at Outside magazine, who was trying to goose up a story”. But I guess he attained too much notoriety to let it go.

I found a ground nest the hard way a couple summers ago… via weed-wacker. At first I thought that bits of the spool were just breaking off and hitting me in the legs, but they kept happening when I shut it down. Then I saw the angry flying things and started running.

I had a week-long odyssey of watching YJs zoom in and out of the ground there like TIE fighters out of the Death Star during the day, and trying to hit their hole with spray at night (grass was still a bit long, so this was like the reverse of a hot dog through a hallway).

Finally, I found out about a recommended remedy, which was to pour about a half cup of gasoline down the hole, then cover it with a cat food can or some such. Axphixiates the whole nest.

I waited until the dead of winter to dig the nest up.

4 Likes

I see what you did there…

:frog:

1 Like

I generally light the gasoline on fire, personally. It’s less harmful to the plant life that way.

2 Likes

Pretty!

Which is, too often, Nature’s way of camouflaging extreme danger.

2 Likes

There is a rare but known gene mutation that means some people find the smell of skunk to be pleasant, like a musky perfume. I have it, and at least one of my daughters. No known evolutionary reason for it, so it’s probably one of those didn’t-cause-death-so-it-wasn’t-selected-out sort of things.

7 Likes

Huh. I have that too, didn’t know it might be a mutation. That trailer park I grew up in was fairly rural, so I smelled plenty of skunks growing up, and to this day I find the smell pleasantly evocative as long as it’s not near enough to be overpoweringly strong.

4 Likes

Part of your trouble might be the frying pan you’re using:
It looks like it might be hungry in the morning and probably eats at least some of each pancake you make.

Also, I see a monkey face in that pancake segment. And angry, scowly monkey.

You’ll have to try some of the others to be sure.

2 Likes

It’s true, it does seem like they hold off stinging until there’s a hundred of them in your pants, socks, and shoes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.