Scientists are trying to design a chili pepper that's easily-harvested by machines

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/09/scientists-are-trying-to-desig.html

4 Likes

I resemble that remark

16 Likes

I think you want to cook the leaves first, though.

4 Likes

Slippery slopes, slippery slopes everywhere! /s

6 Likes

Potatoes would have made better batteries and not needed a Matrix…

15 Likes

My head canon is that Morpheus just didn’t know what the fuck he was talking about, and that the machine use human minds for processing power.

11 Likes

You’re not supposed to think further than PVC, kung fu and machine guns, don’t worry about it.

14 Likes

They had me at PVC.

9 Likes

Sounds like a good premise for a film starring Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons!

7 Likes

I’ll just leave this here…

6 Likes

Funny you should mention that…

6 Likes

scientists have set out to design a chili pepper that’s easily-picked by a machine

Wow, that sounds really cool! I wonder what how they’ll–

Lots of farmers are wary of GMOs, so Walker isn’t using any fancy genetic editing techniques. The traditional breeding process requires rubbing flower parts together in a greenhouse, planting the seeds, and waiting to see what you get, year after year.

3 Likes

GLaDOS wants to disagree…

4 Likes

the first year i tried growing ghost peppers the pollination rate was tiny. i’d have loads of blooms but no fruiting. turns out that the city spraying to eliminate mosquitos carrying west nile killed off most of the wasps and bees that could pollinate it. i ended up rubbing a q-tip from flower rto flower and started getting some peppers.

10 Likes

That extra half a volt really made a difference though.

It’s how the Carolina Reaper was created, and how the varieties of Capsicum Annuum in South America are becoming a separate species from those in North America.

5 Likes

And will the chili peppers be machine-wrapped, with butter?

1 Like

Yeah, I know old-fashioned breeding methods can get results (eventually), but I’m just annoyed that paranoia over GMO has prevented use of the latest techniques. The harvesting methods are entering the 21st century, but the breeding methods are still stuck in the 19th.

2 Likes

happyhecepchili

1 Like

Green chilis are just unripe red chilis which means that the seeds inside of them aren’t ready to germinate yet, so the plant doesn’t want to give the fruit up, and it holds onto it more tightly.

Wait, is the problem just that they’re hard to pull off by hand? Give the people harvesting them a little pair of clippers.

Seems easier than designing a new cultivar and an elaborate harvesting machine.

2 Likes