Scientists bio-engineered a Daddy Long Legs to have short legs instead

This has this sort of vibe:

10 Likes

My concern is that this is another:

5 Likes

I blame the AKC.

We did basset hounds. We can make basset spiders.

5 Likes

kelly rohrbach GIF by Baywatch Movie

6 Likes

" Deformed and Sex combs reduced are necessary for leg fate specification in Phalangium opilio"

I always love the names that genetics ends up producing. Honestly, If I read that Deformed was opening for Sex Combs Reduced near me I’d definitely buy tickets.

7 Likes
6 Likes

DLLs are harmless. Boy Scout summer camping in upstate NY: Pretty much every morning we’d wake up to one or more of those guys adhering to the inside of our tent walls. Strangely enough, as much as most bugs freak me out, the DLLs never did. It would have been a different story, though, if I woke up to one on (or in!!) my sleeping bag. As far as Usain Bolt Daddy Short Legs getting out into the wild, camping is no longer on my travel menu.

4 Likes

Here, in the Olde Worlde, we call Crane Flies, “Daddy Long Legs”. They freak me out as they are such a gangly, bumbling mess.

5 Likes

Now those freak me out!

4 Likes

Huh, It didn’t really answer anything there. Still wants to turn people into Dinosaurs. I can get behind that vibe.

1 Like

Don’t Boomers naturally turn in to dinosaurs? :yum: (I’m on the cusp of Boomer and Gen X).

5 Likes

A friend at work once showed me a photo he had taken at a Rick Wakeman concert. On stage flanking the band were a couple of giant T-Rex inflatables. He pointed those out… chuckling. Me: “Those weren’t the only dinosaurs up there…” He did not look happy.

5 Likes

At least they didn’t do turtles.

1 Like

Similar experience, except instead of DLLs they were finger-sized grasshoppers with big thorns* on the end (*ovipositors, I guess).
“Good morning!”
Yikes!

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, the short leg trait produced in this study is not hereditary, because it is produced by RNA interference - basically, an injection into an embryo that tricks an intra-cellular immune pathway into treating the spider’s own genes as though they come from a virus and need to be suppressed. Also, since the short legs are not actually proper walking legs but pedipalps, it’s not clear that they could walk at all. Again, since the study was not about producing short-legged spiders, none of them probably even got to reach adulthood, as the studied specimens were all embryos or hatchlings.

4 Likes
4 Likes

What is that, a musical for ants?

4 Likes

anigif_enhanced-5575-1422498359-17

4 Likes

Oh this showed up as a creepy-film-name reference in something recently and I am going to go mad trying to remember it now. Thanks