Scientists bio-engineered a Daddy Long Legs to have short legs instead

Originally published at: Scientists bio-engineered a Daddy Long Legs to have short legs instead | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Obligs:

27 Likes

ryan reynolds hd GIF

22 Likes

So now I guess he’s just a Daddy Regular Legs. How sad is that?

11 Likes

Sounds like the work of Alphonse Mephesto.

Whenever the people in town need help dealing with the supernatural, the extraordinary or the insane, Dr. Mephesto is there with a convoluted, multi-assed solution to their problems.

3 Likes

Are the new, shorter legs more inclined to stay attached to creature than the stock legs?

5 Likes

Science + spiders = tenor

6 Likes

Scientists bio-engineered a Daddy Long Legs to have short legs instead

FINALLY!!

4 Likes

Or just a “Daddy”?

6 Likes

Those scientists are some sick bastards.

2 Likes

I’m more concerned they’ll help it to move faster… :fearful:

9 Likes

this just seems cruel.

8 Likes

To answer the “why” questions: making short-legged spiders wasn’t the goal of the study. First of all, the paper includes the first published genome sequence of any species from order Opiliones (which includes thousands of distinct species of daddy longlegs spiders). Having sequenced the genome, researchers then went on to look for the particular genes that are responsible for the distinctive long legs. And generally the easiest way to find out what a gene does is to turn it off and observe what in the organism fails to work as expected. In this case, they identified two genes that are necessary for embryonic proto-legs to develop into proper long legs instead of short pedipalps. The “daddy shortlegs” hatchlings were a side product of this genetic research.

11 Likes

5 Likes

I’d prefer a spider with no legs.

3 Likes

Indeed, like Munchkins :disappointed:

11 Likes

omg :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

So…it’s a corgi spider?

9 Likes

So are these the guys that transformed ‘Harry low pants’?

1 Like

Came for Jeff and Ryan. Was not disappointed.