Scientists develop the whitest paint ever

4 Likes

That’s the point! Extra white it may be, but after a few days… off-white, dingy white, greyish, and lastly outright filthy. Unless you perform maintenance, which is costly as you point out. So maybe, normal run-of-the-mill white paint may be a better alternative? Just wash the crud off from time to time, and there will be crud, especially in city environments:

1 Like

I think in general, if you are going to put a coating on a roof (or car, or road) opting for lighter colored versus darker colored is the way to go in hot climates.
I also think every few years this idea of some magic coating makes the rounds, and is readily debunked.
I mean, we don’t need to be bouncing back the solar flares with roof mounted Jewish space lasers. We just need to quit smearing old dinosaur goo over every effing surface. ( /s, but not totally. Joking about space lasers, but let’s stop smearing tar over everything we inhabit. )

7 Likes

I’d imagine dirt in the air would have this down to regular paint brightness in like a week.

2 Likes

I can already imagine the framed jigsaw puzzle of this betwixt two sconces.

soooo…tell me they named it “Barry White”

3 Likes

It can make the cities less livable. Trees are another solution, but they are often unevenly distributed.

2 Likes

Um… I’m going to go with “dogs playing poker”

2 Likes

Gotta love your strange reply but would find it slim pickings when choosing a white paint after the fallout… Should probably not worry so much and learn to love Vantablack which I’ve heard is ‘the bomb’!

Badum tish??

I believe that’s general schmuck, not major kong (played by slim pickens)

1 Like

Dogs Playing Poker - Rabbits Against Magic by J Lemon

6 Likes

Production of superhydrophobic roof stuff or nanotexturing applications (trying to cut out surface fouling here) are a step more, and you don’t want to need to stand on it while adjusting an antenna or trying to tie in otherwise, so slanted roofs with no other adjustments are out, and the structural change filing required if it’s in.

On a flattish roof it would be better to run a water loop on the side and have an electrostatic dust chaser toss falling soot there as an environmental buff. Not lowering costs here a-go-go…maybe better to have local plantings up there and an ultrawhite shade flyer on clear days (and not right next to a neighbor’s flare-off.)

Per that 2011 Stanford Work the white roofs are great as long as it doesn’t break up light cloud cover and/or hit a bunch of urban soot, which moot the effect or worse. Particular climate, particular particulate load…or bust.

Superslick high-angle stark white roads FTW! Superslick ultrawhite road shading wind harvesting stuff for the low-casualty win!
dance dancing GIF by Philadelphia 76ers

Memphis camo for Google Maps for a stretch goal?
Work Office GIF

7 Likes

Dr Strangelove__Ripper__I find your lack of faith distubing

2 Likes

Ground control to major Kong…

Just going for the cheep puns (engines on)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.