Galaxy car made with blackest black paint and a pearlescent topcoat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/15/galaxy-car-made-with-blackest-black-paint-and-a-pearlescent-topcoat.html

9 Likes

He wastes a lot of time talking when I just wanted to see how it’s done and how it looked when finished. Then it’s so frustrating that we never see the entire car at one time. Just close-ups of small sections. I’m thinking it’s cool, but I won’t subscribe.

19 Likes

“Gonna be a great sundive.”

9 Likes

TIL that vantablack isn’t actually paint.

3 Likes

So many videos do this nowadays. Grabber headline, five minutes of product promotion, ten minutes of talking, ten minutes of work footage, then two minutes of results. Drives me nuts.

And we never got to see a distance shot. I think because a distance shot is probably anticlimactic.

The car, to me, didn’t look “galactic.” It looked prickly, like all those shiny bits added a texture that wasn’t really there. The dissonance is cool, but isn’t the wow factor I would want.

9 Likes

I’ll suggest jumping forward to around 7:36 to see the finished effect; which is pretty cool.

9 Likes

Maybe the most interesting to me was how all the plastic trim now looks like complete garbage next to the new paint job. Why didn’t he do the rear-view mirrors?

I echo the other complaints of no whole car shot.

I don’t think that the project part of the video is that big of a deal though. I’m guessing his channel subscribers care about the process and reasoning, not just the final product reveal.

8 Likes

I’d like to see someone paint a car with Musou Black, then highlight it with LumiLor accents.

14 Likes

So much dumb here. If you so much as brushed by it it would be ruined. This would be true of a car just painted ultra-black too, though slightly less so. They could have gotten the same result using “plain” black paint because the way ultra-black paint works is by having a surface that traps light. In paint terms that would be very very flat or matte. Putting anything over that undoes the “ultra” part. The end results shown are the equivalent of using plain black paint with a pearlescent clear coat. I f*ing hate click-bait. It’s just lying by another name. Maybe if we had a different President I wouldn’t be so weary from mendacity and more inclined to see it as a pointless lark.

6 Likes

Pet hate: Most cars these days are black/dark silver/grey/some other variation on a shade of tarmac, and it makes traffic in my peripheral vision much harder to monitor. I know it’s more likely to be kept in someone’s display garage than driven, but knowing that there’s a car out there painted Smell-the-Glove black really irritates me. Not gonna deny that the galaxy effect is amazing tho.

I think this is mostly because YouTube videos over 10 minutes can be monetised so they’re stretched out with inane garbage. Like a lot of videos, this one is 10 minutes and change.

12 Likes

And all the bird shit on it will look like nebulae.

15 Likes

My God, it’s full of stars

12 Likes

“Open the passenger door, HAL.”

“I’m sorry, Dave, I can’t do that.”

15 Likes

I guess there’s no distance shot because the paint-job bombed massively. Maybe some part of it was ok-ish, but I’m guessing the rest of the car as a whole was a fiasco.

Wouldn’t go so far as to call it ‘fake’, but veeeeery carefully edited to not show the disaster on the other parts of the car.

7 Likes

Looks cool, but a black car would get really hot in the summer.

That made me wonder if there is a “whitest white” paint.

(pause for quick goog)

Yes. They say it reflects so well that it’s actually cooler than ambient. Buy some and paint your roof with it.

5 Likes

That article has lied to you. There isn’t a technical definition of “paint”. In the coatings industry, everything is a coating. There are all manner of methods of applications, bonding, sealing, and performance characteristics, but if they can be spray or brush-applied, they’re all coatings.

7 Likes

There isn’t a 10 minute requirement for monetization. Most YT videos are full of jabbering because most YouTubers don’t have any sense of pacing or scripting. I say this as a near-full-time YouTuber myself.

10 Likes

Came to say exactly the same thing - video maker didn’t have enough wit to think a shot of the whole car might have been useful. Twit.

3 Likes

It looks like that horrible sandpapery sparkle finish that went on TrapperKeeper™s.

5 Likes

" It was jet-black. A shade of black so deep, your eye just kind of slides off it. And it shimmered when you looked at it. A spider, big as death and twice as ugly. When it flies past, it’s like you hear a scream in your mind. "

11 Likes