The weirdness of a room painted entirely with the world's blackest black paint

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/11/the-weirdness-of-a-room-painted-entirely-with-the-worlds-blackest-black-paint.html

16 Likes

Black mold gave the video a thumbs up.

16 Likes

That’s Kinda freaky.

twotegans

11 Likes

A wall of blackout drapes would be interesting in front of a window, but I couldn’t handle a whole room of darkness. I’m digging the cloak of invisibility, though!

14 Likes

Just imagine a cockroach flying there as you are locked in.

7 Likes

And wear toe casts.

4 Likes

What will be in there with you?

unnamed

12 Likes

I would be interested to see research on the reaction from organisms/animals to the extreme blackness of a room painted with this

12 Likes

Just be glad this wasn’t invented during the Cheney years

6 Likes

3 Likes

I was hoping he’d say what wattage the light bulb was for reference. Really interesting effects, and I was lefting wondering how it would look if you put pinholes through the wall and used a block light to illuminate through them (thinking of how to make it look as much like space as possible).

2 Likes

If anyone wants to buy a debranded Thinkpad T470 painted with Black 2.0, I’m not using it anymore

6 Likes

How much more black can a Thinkpad be?

spinal tap GIF

26 Likes

24 Likes

As black as the Earl of Hell’s weskit

3 Likes

“What is this black fabric?”…

Well, duh:

RR

21 Likes

I wonder what it would be like to spend time in an anechoic chamber that’s painted black like that inside? Probably a fantastic way to experience sensory deprivation.

11 Likes

Or to lose one’s mind, permanently.

10 Likes

Speaking of which, it would be interesting to see an infinity mirror setup in this room.

4 Likes

I was wondering how it would look with an unfrosted bulb, which would more closely approximate a point source. I’m thinking that it would be more impressive in person, when your perception of black is not limited by the monitor and the lighting of the room the video watcher is in.

6 Likes