The weirdness of a room painted entirely with the world's blackest black paint

That looks relaxing to me. I wonder if it’s difficult to keep clean?

2 Likes

i would love to do this for my room, but pricing the paint seems… difficult. I shudder at the thought of buying it in bottles measured by milliliters… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Normally I would say this would be wonderful for me. We have black out blinds and we still get light in the room. But I never imagined the cockroach à la @BakaNeko. :astonished:

4 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Wait, so Vantablack’s not the blackest any more? Sucks to be Anish Kapoor, I guess.

Also, this:

7 Likes

I would imagine that every speck of dust, skin cells, and hair bits would be reflective. So essentially it’d drive you nuts.

9 Likes

Issuing 2001 monoliths actually seems like a pretty sound IT strategy: extremely durable; and if they can turn primitive hominids into effective tool users they can probably keep users from calling for support because they didn’t bother to connect to wifi and think that the internet is broken.

2 Likes

I’ve painted walls matte black before and they pick up scrapes and scratches very easily too.

3 Likes

None more black.

5 Likes

There can be some big effects to a person’s psyche. This has been observed with cave spelunkers that have been in total darkness for too long, it can trigger hallucinations, disruptions in sleep cycles and severe changes in behavior,

7 Likes

Might be interesting to ask @beschizza since he posted the pic of his Thinkpad with a competing brand of black paint. My rough understanding is that the paint achieves the effect of absorbing light due to the 3D structure of the material’s surface, i would think that it would scuff, gather smudges and dust pretty easily but i don’t know if that’s how it actually responds to wear and tear.

3 Likes

Turns on light bulb

“Here I am in the world’s darkest room.”

slash-commands-shrug

1 Like

Basically it loses the magic blackness effect almost on touch. It’s like a carbon dust in the paint medium that’s doing the work. It won’t show fingerprints, but real world use will scuff and sheen it quickly to a very dark but not weirdly-dark matte black. The matte is darker than seriously dark blacks (e.g. the old black MacBooks, Razer laptops) but it’s not a consistent or durable finish.

And if it isn’t obvious, the eye can see it. Cameras are easy to fool by manipulating the dynamic range of the shot.

7 Likes

Here it is, for example, under a bright 90 CRI fluorescent lamp with a camera on auto white balance. You might say it’s contrived to create contrast between real shadow and the paint, but all the same, it will not fool the eye.

This is Black 2.0, though, not Musou, which is definitely darker. And it’s had daily use for a while. So it’s not the blackest you’ll get from Black 2/3.0 either, by any means.

9 Likes

Thanks for the follow up and confirming my hunch. The paint seems best used for temporary setups or things that would not normally be handled by a person. I’d still love to see the effect in person some day

4 Likes

Sounds like Disaster Area’s ship in Douglas Adams’ Restaurant at the End of the Universe:

It was a ship of classic, simple design, like a flattened salmon, twenty yards long, very clean, very sleek. There was just one remarkable thing about it.

“It’s so… black!” said Ford Prefect. “You can hardly make out its shape… light just seems to fall into it!”

The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.

“Your eyes just slide off it…” said Ford in wonder.

“It’s the wild colour scheme that freaks me,” said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, “Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you’ve done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?”

(36 posts and nobody brought it up yet? I am disappoint. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

20 Likes

Well I came here to mention Hotblack Desiato so I’m glad you fulfilled that requirement.

2 Likes

Tangential, but there is a realtor in London called Hotblack Desiato and if I moved to London I would 100% use them, just because.

3 Likes

That isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

1 Like