The weirdness of a room painted entirely with the world's blackest black paint

That’s amazing. I want to t create a room like that and put black lights in it and hang fluorescent mobiles from the ceiling.

The sellers say as much on their site, it is fragile after application and any kind of seal would reduce the effect, they do mention using a primer first.

The blackest ever unboxing video.

1 Like

Yikes! With appropriate temperature control.

1 Like

Musou? i guess Vanta is SO last year. [EDIT: typo]

Probably due to the fact that only Anish Kapoor’s studio has the exclusive licence to use Vantablack. I know, right? So, people have been creating these new variants, of which Black 2.0 is one that you can only use if you’re not (or affiliated with) Anish Kapoor. The variants seem good enough to me, having used Black 2.0 as blackout paint for UV shows.

3 Likes

Or NOT to see it, amirite?

COOL IDEAS:
-Floatation Tank inside an anechoic chamber inside a room painted with the world’s blackest black. Your choice to add cannabis/psychedelics/Ketamine, etc.

-Army already conducted research with all this for “interrogation”/torture, probably by 1970. Classified docs? Muckrock?

-It’s a already a “thing” among psychonauts but they’re keeping mum so as not to get busted. “Uhh…no to that cop. We don’t NEED to take DMT in there. You body releases DMT in response to the environment. Duh! Don’t you know you got DMT in your system right now? It’s released by, like, the pineal gland, man!”

-A significant percentage of people with Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder - who feel fine as long as they’re allowed to sleep 4AM-noon (always that pesky sunbeam sneaking through to wake us) are innarested. Tell us more. Does the paint give off toxic fumes? Toxic in a “good” way?

Rather like a roomy coffin.

1 Like

London realtors (“estate agents”) are among the very worst this rancid island has to offer, and Hotblack Desiato operate(d) in particularly douchey West London neighbourhoods IIRC, so probably even worse. Crashing into the sun would probably be a more fun way to celebrate H2G2.

1 Like

I think the blackness is entirely down to the microscopic texture (since the actual pigment is just lampblack, like in almost any black paint), so at the scale that matters it only takes a few molecules to garbage it up, and any kind of buffing makes it worse. But I assume that’s true of other very black finishes.

I used Black 2.0 on the knob box of my crude home-made entertainment center thingy, with the exciting and bad side effect that anything brushing against that box is picked up as LOUD audio noise; I guess the little protruding graphene molecules, combined with my poor knowledge of electronics, accidentally creates a nano-microphone in some way I don’t understand.

6 Likes

There’s no way I would paint a room in Musou Black, but the exterior of my house would be interesting.

2 Likes

What were you planning on doing in there?

2 Likes

You have triggered a great experiment - one (or more?) black surfaces and the rest mirrors.

This could be another application that would extend our way of thinking about audio frequencies in the physical, electronic and digital spaces. Isolating noise from analogue/ electronic audio gear requires light reflective materials in cables etc… Absolute silence is relative to an output in both digital and analogue audio devices, -infinity db. Crank up any audio unit with zero input and will always hear noise, either electronic interference or digital machine noise.

Could have an application in this space.

1 Like

Sadly, their website isn’t black type on a black background with black and black photography.

Opportunity missed there, I feel

1 Like

I have a question though. The company that made this, is this a huge chemical engineering feat, they’ve found a process to make this really black paint that no one else has, or is it just other paint companies didn’t think there was a market for this?

They’re not the only company making super black paints/materials, it’s a relatively lively field and there’s at least two well known companies have had super black paints on the market for a while. As far as a market for it… it depends on what you mean by that. There is of course a huge potential market but right now the paints and materials that have the super black effect are quite fragile so they aren’t a good fit for applications that need it to be robust and durable… which is nearly most use cases. For the time being it’s used in R&D, and the occasional art or commercial project.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s fine - they usually have a lost-and-found at reception.

1 Like

What that room needs is the world’s blackest coffee table with the world’s sharpest corners

6 Likes

I was going to bring him up, but I’m temporarily dead for tax reasons.

2 Likes