A BMW painted with Vantablack

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/30/a-bwm-painted-with-vantablack.html

4 Likes

Your car is ready Mister Wayne…

27 Likes

I didn’t realize how much difference DRL makes until mine weren’t working for a few weeks and I had so many more people just pulling out or across in front of me!

5 Likes

Hotblack Desiato’s car.

42 Likes

They really should have used PINK LIT, the world’s pinkest pink https://www.dezeen.com/2016/12/30/anish-kapoor-uses-stuart-semple-worlds-pinkest-pink-despite-ban/

24 Likes

Stunt or not, academic. Just several days of driving in traffic and weather would have fouled up the light-absorbing flat finish. Goodbye, Vanta.

18 Likes

don’t park it on the street or drive it without the headlights on :grimacing:

9 Likes

Must get so hot in the sun.

26 Likes

What’s a BWM? I’ve heard of a BMW.

18 Likes

The only possible use for it.

2 Likes

It’s a black hole, with a BMW-shaped event horizon.

10 Likes

Those are some remarkable numbers. If paint color makes more difference than other appearance-related safety measures that are already compulsory (brake lights, no hood ornaments etc.), you have to wonder whether some / most paint jobs will become illegal, and if not, why not.

LOL j/k. This inevitably falls under the vast heading of “negative externalities of private car ownership that are so monstrous that we just systematically ignore them for decade after blood-soaked, environmentally and socially catastrophic decade”.

24 Likes

“What is this, some kind of galactic hyper-hearse?”

16 Likes

Yesterday I was thinking of doing this with my pickup truck, but doing alternating stripes of 3M safety paint. Just not certain of how long it would last.

9 Likes

Meh, I’m not buying the increased accident risk for vantablack. The risk is for typical glossy painted cars which are so common they fade into our unconscious perceptual background. Anything uncommon is going to stand out. A freakin’ black hole flying down the road would be most uncommon. If you want to get in a wreck, paint your car with that low emittance matte gray paint the military uses. Hardly a different look than an empty roadway.

3 Likes

I was just thinking, that Vanta can be as deeply black as it wants to; it still can’t resist the inevitable fading power of the sun.

12 Likes
23 Likes

The Sun: “I always win.”
A cloud: “Tee-hee!”

:wink:

10 Likes

Against pigments and saturated hues?

Yes, it really does.

7 Likes

That’s the problem with a vanta-colored car, it’s hard to know what you’re looking at.

17 Likes