A BMW painted with Vantablack

That’s a Bavarian Werksmotor. When it’s running, it cranks out little factories. Ahem. WHEN it’s running. IF it runs. Ahem.

9 Likes

I know it’s a bad idea but I really wanted my already black BMW R90/6 motorcycle from 1975 repainted with vantablack.

I keep wanting it really really really black. Normal black will not be good enough.

I know the vantablack is off-limits because Anish Kapoor is an asshole, but does anyone know of a special super dark black powder coat formula I can ask the powder coater to use? Restoring and repainting this winter

5 Likes

A bowel movement?

10 Likes

The Order of the Seekers of Truth and Penitence wishes to note that this deficiency will be resolved at a chronologically deeply puzzling (but I’m fairly sure future?) time.

2 Likes

Just like the current craze for “crossover SUVs”, which are just station wagons or hatchbacks, but worse in every way. More expensive, more likely to roll over, less aerodynamic, and far more likely to kill a pedestrian in a collision.

They exist purely because people (everyone except me, it seems) think they look cool. I’ll be sure to appreciate how cool the driver who will likely kill me looks as he fails to yield as I cross the street.

9 Likes

I need my armored luxury tank to drive to work and drive home. Keep my children safe as I run down yours while I talk on my cell phone. Better you than me.

Reasons, no?

8 Likes

It wouldn’t fade from sunlight the way most organic pigments do. Like lampblack (of which it is just a fancy version) it’s already the most stable form of pure carbon, so there’s nothing for it to break down into, even in the strongest UV light (or indeed gamma rays).

But since it is super matte, it’ll soon pick up filth and hold onto it permanently, making it no blacker than regular graphite. And you can’t use any kind of protective coating on it for the same reason. And I doubt it’s very durable.

17 Likes

Nice black paint and all, but that big fat thing is not a “car”.

2 Likes

I’d be more concerned about the inability to see into or through the front windows of the vehicle. In my experience, that’s much more dangerous for other drivers, bicyclists, pedestrians, etc.

Coincidentally, today I saw for the first time a vehicle that didn’t just have illegally tinted driver and passenger windows, but the front window of the car was tinted, too. Insane.

3 Likes

white cars are very common and yet they are the least likely to get smashed

7 Likes

I was worried I was having a stroke, because the letters kept showing up backwards. But you’ve assured me, it’s just the author…

2 Likes

Seagulls love it!

9 Likes

Gratuitous tangent:

6 Likes

I seem to remember reading that it is rather fragile and cannot be touched, as its properties come from its physical structure. Nanotube sorcery of some extremely expensive kind. So probably a bad idea to have it outside at all.

4 Likes

Is it a Kapoor Kar?

Or just a blue Beemer painted up for a car show?

1 Like

Came here to say, this is “structural blackness” rather than light-sensitive pigment blackness.

5 Likes
4 Likes

As others have noticed, BMW is misspelled in the headline.

But that’s okay, because it’s also misspelled in the main body of the article itself.

12 Likes

I have a truck in Vanna White.

9 Likes

Part of BB’s campaign to emulate the Grauniad.

5 Likes