A BMW painted with Vantablack

It hasn’t made that thing any less ugly.

3 Likes

A car intentionally made too expensive for normal people to afford, painted in a pigment intentionally made too expensive for normal people to afford. Conspicuous consumption painted in conspicuous consumption.

4 Likes

…inconspicuously…

3 Likes

From the linked article, emphasis mine:

Black cars are notably more dangerous to drive than white cars for reasons of visibility already. A study by Monash University Accident Research Centre in Australia

A study which, in my humble opinion as a Canadian, needs to be repeated by the University of Manitoba or Western U in London, Ontario in the snow-belt. Betcha white cars do just as badly in winter driving conditions, or grey cars in rain, both of which are rare considerations in Australia. :wink:

I suspect that night black, RDF grey, and snowstorm white are all colours to be avoided…

12 Likes

It is a concept car in a motor show (it was blue before being sprayed) it is not a colour option from BMW, it is a marketing/creative director having spasms of joy.

3 Likes

Imagine stripes of alternate Vantablack and Pink Lit!

ETA and I thought Anish Kapoor had a monopoly on this stuff? Did he paint the car? Does that make it art? (Answers: Fuck him; who cares; NO!!)

5 Likes

Don’t you mean Black 2.0, which isn’t the blackest black but it is the best black because people who aren’t called Anish Kapoor* are allowed to use it.

* And people called Anish Kapoor who aren’t Anish Kapoor.

2 Likes

I wanted to do a room in Black 3.0 but my wife nixed the project. :crazy_face: Sort of a stationary performance art piece…

2 Likes

I rather prefer the combination of both physical contrast and intellectual opposition by putting those two together. But then, I am a stirrer.

Pink Lit and Black 2.0 would be too Semple.

(I’ll get my coat. Again.)

2 Likes

I know the vantablack is off-limits because Anish Kapoor is an asshole,

It’s not, it’s off limits because you can’t afford to enter into a $$$$$ deal with the company who make vantablack in order to get them to do the very difficult and expensive industrial process which would be required to coat your bike with their experimental coating (which i don’t believe is actually yet durable enough to permanently paint a vehicle anyway). Kapoor can afford it, but he’s only entered into a contract with them to use it for art, which you painting your bike is not. Nor is BMW doing a marketing stunt in order to get blogs to give them free advertising.

Not 100% convinced that some guy trying to make a name for himself by starting a jovial internet beef with Kapoor and selling powder paint with a funny story attached is really art either for that matter :smiley:

2 Likes

White cars have been getting a lot more popular here in Finland in recent years, and I can’t understand why. Not only does white show all the dirt, they blur into the background during the winter.

3 Likes

Dark grey (shudder). Without lights on, is near impossible to see in RDF. Or flat out rain. It looks like the road.

Turn your lights on, people, FFS. Daytime running lights don’t cut it in bad conditions.

3 Likes

On black cars, fine for chauffeurs who have time waiting for the boss to keep them clean, for the rest of us they are hardly ever clean. I had on black car, never again.

1 Like

I don’t get the obsession with grey and silver cars, it’s like people want to be ran into.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was really considering if the ‘white cars are less likely to be involved in accidents’ study took into account snow. Then I looked again and that study was done in Australia, so the answer seems to be: no.

4 Likes

I notice from the ‘photographs’ that you can see some contouring on the black bits of the car.
From my limited experience of Vantablack (quite a small bit in a museum) you can’t really see any details of the 3D shape of the object, it’s just flat black blob.

I expect if they really make one of these it would look less conventionally cool, but more weird and interesting than the renders they’re showing here.

2 Likes

When I saw this headline I immediately though, “That’s a terrible idea.” Thankfully that’s what the post was about. :slight_smile:

Which wouldn’t be a problem if he hadn’t got exclusive use of it for art, creating artificial scarcity. There is no amount of money that I can offer if I want to create artwork with it, unless Surrey NanoSystems decide to break the contract.

I seem to remember that green is a colour to avoid too, even in places that aren’t very green.

I wonder what this looks like to the lidar of a self-driving car.