Most BMW drivers are jerks, according to science

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/26/most-bmw-drivers-are-jerks-ac.html

8 Likes

Sorry if anyone drives a beemer, but…

it_is_known_gif

And I got a cousin who works for BMW, too…

42 Likes

That header image tho… Where the BMWs at?

Edit: Fixed, it used to be this one

3 Likes

46 Likes

Or you can be the kid (my son) whose parents bought him an old, used BMW for his first car because it was one of the safer cars in crash tests. Said kid is so car-unconscious that when he bought an oil filter and was asked what kind of car it was for, said Buick.

14 Likes

I was just under the impression that BMW saved money by not installing turn signals.

25 Likes

I drive a BMW, but purchased it used. And it’s a diesel. Some of us want something more engaging than a beige appliance of a car, but aren’t willing to spend BMW money on the thing. That makes us cheap bastards that don’t signal (because BMWs don’t use signals, ever).

That sounds like evidence for a public policy making cars above a certain price illegal on the streets?

6 Likes

I’ve driven nearly every brand of euro trash $1k used heaps in my time but never considered the beemers because I am horrified at the thought of being thought of as an asshole.

17 Likes

Stereotype threat is why I buy Japanese sports cars rather than German. I may be an entitled rich white man, but I’m not an asshole.

5 Likes

I have had exactly two people throw open their doors and hit my car while I was parked in my car. Both times they were in BMWs.

I approached one of them and said, “Hey, you just opened the door and hit my car.”

“No, I didn’t,” she said.

“I was in the car, felt it shake and saw you do it.”

“Well, I am sorry,” she murmured as she rushed off to wherever she was going.

10 Likes

To be fair the article included Audi and Mercedes and the generic “fast expensive German cars” as the criteria for potential assholery.

I don’t like to over generalize too much but I think we can all agree that a lot of asshole drivers seem to be driving BMWs, big over sized SUVs, and hill billy trucks.

Just seems like it’s a pattern anyway.

8 Likes

by driving a reliable car they are sending out the message that they themselves are reliable

Pretty much all cars have gotten more reliable in the past few decades, but I don’t think high-status cars, and in particular pricey German ones, are particularly known for reliability. In fact, I think their reputation is that they tend to become money pits after a few years. Parts and repair costs also tend to go up with pricier cars. This is even more so for somewhat more exotic marques like Maseratis.

9 Likes

See, I don’t believe this. I drive a cheap Hyundai and I am a total asshole. I do stop for pedestrians but only to let them get to the middle of my car. Much more satisfying thump that way.

10 Likes

Audi drivers are worse. They’re BMW drivers who have a inferiority complex because they know deep down they paid too much money for a fancy Volkswagen.

21 Likes

All of them?

10 Likes

I drive a rusty beater with obviously missing parts. My driving is very safe because other drivers give me a wide berth because they can see I don’t give a damn. It’s also good thief-be-gone. I could have the crown jewels of England in my trunk and nobody would ever dream of me having anything worth stealing.

10 Likes

S’truth. I walk over to my local coffee shop every morning from my workplace. I have to cross a relatively minor intersection, which has lights and crosswalks. The most likely vehicle to make me have to take evasive maneuvers as I cross the street is a Mercedes. A close second is the really expensive luxury pickup trucks that cost north of $60k.

In contrary to the title, BMW drivers are pretty chill at the crosswalk.

7 Likes

I’ve left the euros long behind. Rocking a Mazda3 right now, but I still miss this beauty:

6 Likes

When do we get to include Tesla drivers in this group?

6 Likes