Galaxy car made with blackest black paint and a pearlescent topcoat

For trump supporters everywhere

Screw this… I want a meta-material coating that channels light around my vehicle… it will look like it isnt there. :thinking:

1 Like
1 Like

Personally I would want a mirror finish paint.

Partly to keep the car cool during a hot summer.

Partly to severely punish those assholes in trucks who keep their high beams on all the time.

5 Likes

He shook the ‘failed’ full-load pearlescent-over-Musou sample with such fury it wasn’t clear why it was a failure, but it did seem a bit inconsistent… Thanks for that jump bit!

Looking forward to the wabi-sabi galaxy finish followup, or perfect continued state brought on by managing to finish coat it so A/R coats form (w. peelable A/R gravure stretched over the wet coat and light or epoxy cure? projected interference pattern on thin coats? Hm…silica moth-eye nanopillars transferred into the coat. ) and by training cats to clean it.

2 Likes

Was very cool to look at that one time before it blew off on the drive home. I’m not generally disposed towards vandalism but I did have strong cravings to see how bright a key scratch would look.

1 Like

The downside is that you would punish every other innocent driver on the road.

4 Likes

Agreed. And they didn’t even wipe down the sunroof and window edges before filming.
Annoying and sloppy.

1 Like

Yeah, that was annoying. I also wanted to see it at night with the lights on. Lotta effort for a missed opportunity.

1 Like

I think they didn’t show the whole car because zoomed out the sparkly is invisible. I bet it is just a black silhouette from a distance enough to film the whole car.

That said, from my research after the “painting a room” article, this seems kinda iffy, anyway. Any kind of protective topcoat would spoil the ultra black effect. Any kind of dust and abrasion would do the same, (which driving around, just the dusty air would be enough). I wonder also about rain. Are blackest paint items able to get wet without losing the effect?

I guess you could do this for a show car that stays covered and gets hauled around on a trailer, but I can’t imagine it would be anything but a mat black car after a week or two if you actually used it.

1 Like

Having watched the whole video (mostly, TBH, because he looks like someone I used to be fond of), he does actually acknowledge that. The iridescent effect is just solid particles dispersed in naphtha, which evaporates without leaving a coating on the black surface. In other words, it’s basically loose glitter sprinkled on an already-fragile paint job.

Which is fine, for a video, I guess, but as folks have posted, it is disappointing that having done all this work they didn’t attempt to really show it off before it’s ruined (i.e. Tuesday). The thing with any iridescent effect is you can only see it at where the light hits the surface at an oblique angle relative to your eye – my guess is that’s why they only show part of it from one direction, because it just looks black from every other angle. It works much better with movement and lots of light sources, so it probably would look cool driving around at night.

1 Like

Just get a chrome vinyl wrap, which has the added benefit that you can remove it later down the road:

3 Likes

I wonder whether these ultra-black coatings absorb enough IR to confuse the lidar used by many of the self-driving cars.

2 Likes

I await a vehicle surfaced with sensors and LEDs that display the vehicle’s opposite side and surroundings, thus being rather invisible. For fun, have the LEDs display something monstrous. Clothing like that would be nice, too. Watch my skeleton walk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.