Scientists found geological evidence of the Biblical destruction of Sodom

Originally published at: Scientists found geological evidence of the Biblical destruction of Sodom | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Yeah, there’s a Lot to say about Sodom…

24 Likes

If the destroyed city is near this it’s absolute proof!

17 Likes

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.”

Yup, checks out.

17 Likes
7 Likes

Welcome to the Biblical Spin Zone!

14 Likes

But what were they up to that was so bad in Gomorrah?

15 Likes

This is a really cool finding, and one I cannot wait to bring into my World History classes. One thing to note is that the settlement area was abandoned for around 600 years, which is consistent with the idea that “Gods destroyed this place, so it’s best to stay away” kind of thinking.

The original article can get kind of dense, but it’s an absolutely fascinating read and some amazing detective work by those scientists.

20 Likes

Like in the BB post above?

5 Likes

I wouldn’t know. Maybe god was racist against green people.

18 Likes

Like an earlier piece read days ago but thanks!

4 Likes

Gomorrah was the place people from Sodom used to go saturday nights.

Edit: I think Luis Fernando Veríssimo or Millor Fernandes wrote it a long time ago…

11 Likes

What happened in Gomorrah stayed in Gomorrah.

23 Likes

I wish I could have seen that.

7 Likes

That’s about 100km away. Jericho is a lot closer and would have been trashed if the blast was that powerful, but we already know that God was happy to genocide anyone living there.

The events of Joshua were about 3600 years ago. Maybe this is why the walls of Jericho fell, but it wouldn’t explain why the Israelites survived.

11 Likes

Read your post, and now this is on repeat in my head:

7 Likes

According to Bob Macdonald, the Hebrew term for Gomorrah was based on the Semitic root ʿ-m-r , which means “be deep”, “copious (water)”.[15]

Deep State Coastal Elites.

11 Likes

Whether or not it formed the basis for the story of Sodom, people certainly remembered something bad had happened there, given that perhaps for 600 years, no one would live in this prime location, that previously had been occupied for millennia. How long cultural memory lasts is a really interesting question, but it’s not clear that people have remembered this for event for 3600+ years, much less in that particular story.

And the traditional story of Sodom wasn’t about sex, but about how the people of the city failed to live up to the expected standards of how the poor were treated, etc. The hyper-focus on the one small bit that can be interpreted as being about sex, and ignoring the rest of the story, is apparently a pretty modern read.

27 Likes

I can pretty much guarantee that if a massive meteorite were to obliterate a city today it would be interpreted immediately by many people that it was because of butseks. Already hurricanes are blamed on gay marriage as a matter of course (and fundraising).

A city getting blown up in a huge mushroom cloud all of a sudden would be horrifying at any point. At this point in history we might at least have some understanding of what happened. In the Bronze Age we’d probably all be making a trip to the local deity to offer some sacrifices asap.

13 Likes

It certainly did stay once God dropped a big rock on it.

7 Likes