Scientists found geological evidence of the Biblical destruction of Sodom

When I was a kid I loved disaster stories. And it being the early 70s when I was old enough to start reading really interesting books my mom finished, in about around 1977 in a grocery store I found one called The End Of Atlantis. It was thick like 3-400 pages and a fiery orange cover of Ancient scantly clad people cowering ala Pompeii. Just what I loved
I started reading it and it was not a lurid tail if lost cities but really a very well fully cited read on them presenting the theory of the Legend of Atlantis actually being the massive eruption of Thera on what is now Santorini. Where :Atlantis" was actually Knossos on Crete which was inundated with massive tidal waves from the explosion. It was all about measuring layers of the ash or Tephra that was unique to Thera in core samples from around the world to prove the point that if this mountain blew with enough force to wipe out Cretan civilization we would expect to find ash evidence around the world.
It was fascinating and not at all what I expected bur really formative to my young adult mind,
This story reminded me so much of that experience
Thanks

8 Likes

Fair points! My crankiness in this general area gets the best of me, oftentimes.

7 Likes

Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

6 Likes

I continue to be unimpressed by efforts to prove the bible true through archeology. I could prove the Abraham Lincoln is a vampire hunter the same way, there’s a whole book about it, and there’s proof that the US was a real place and there was a real civil war.

You can’t prove a fictional book true through archeology.

1 Like

No one here on the BBS is trying to do that though. What we are talking about is how myths can be based on real world events.

I have a friend who did a masters degree in the history of science who is insistent that most scientists and engineers are terrible historians. They tend to have a very binary view of the world, things are either right or wrong, and if it is wrong then it isn’t worth remembering. Real life isn’t that neat and tidy though.

20 Likes

You’re going to have to provide some evidence.

6 Likes

For what?

Everything

6 Likes

???

Not sure what you are getting at. But if you are serious, then, of course, you’d first need to provide evidence for your claim I need evidence for “everything” …

That’s a completely unsupported assumption

7 Likes

I’m guessing this is intended to be a completely circular discussion? :thinking:

There is no discussion

6 Likes

Ah, your end goal :-/

Skepticism

6 Likes

I’m going to stick to requiring extraordinary proof for extraordinary claims. Ordinary claims, such as that some places mentioned in the bible actually existed? Only ordinary proof required for those ordinary claims. Which do not prove the religious claims of the bible - the extraordinary ones, just as the existence of Washington DC and a historical person named Abraham Lincoln do not prove that Vampires exist nor that Lincoln was a Vampire hunter, as told in the book Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

1 Like

I require proof that comments on the internet prove someone actually exists.

Additionally that there is an “I”.

8 Likes

Wait, I thought the internet was dead and we’re all bots?

11 Likes

But can anything be said to exist if there is no “I”?

8 Likes

I don’t know.

8 Likes

Wel, there you are.

Hypothetically

9 Likes