Scientists genetically engineer E. coli to produce the psychedelic psilocybin

They should have done it with brewer’s yeast.

Would make for some very interesting homebrew beer.

5 Likes

Hooray! Everyone’s a felon!

6 Likes

“Born Guilty”

5 Likes

One of [the] “black hackers” … conceived the sinister notion of “implanted dope factories.” By attaching the drug-producing genetics directly into the human genome, it was argued, abusers could be “wet-wired” into permanent states of intoxication. The agent of fixation would be the AIDS retrovirus, whose RNA sequence was a matter of common knowledge and available on dozens of open scientific databases. The one drawback to the scheme, of course, was that the abuser would “burn out like a shitpaper moth in a klieg light,” to use Dr. Hotton’s memorable phrase."

– Bruce Sterling, “Our Neural Chernobyl”

5 Likes

I’m on a drug whenever I jog. Endorphins!

1 Like
2 Likes

7 Likes

People get addicted to shrooms? Really?

3 Likes

I was thinking this. Hmm… Yeah, E. coli is kind of the “go to” bacteria for biodrug production, but can you imagine if someone was careless enough to become contaminated, and have it set up camp in their GI system (big assumption that it could compete with normal enteric E. coli, but…).

2 Likes

Nope. According to DEA, hallucinogens such as 'shrooms and LSD are anti-addictive in that most folks get turned off to doing them once they have had a trip or three.

Edit: Most folks. :wink:

8 Likes

Tripping on shrooms without having to stomach a bunch of shrooms.

OH MY GOD WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?! :joy:

4 Likes

“ “The number-one advantage is it’s simply cheaper” than—or at least cost-competitive with—other methods,“

They can’t be cheaper than just growing mushrooms. You can pick up a whole pack at the store for 3 bucks.

And amateurs have no difficulty growing them in their closets - or a cabinet.

Can what you grow in your closet be accurately standardized and replicated, though?

1 Like

What a mushroom farm does can be.

Also - need it be to that degree?

1 Like

Pure microgram quantities without any of the potential variation from growth or processing conditions that you could get from farmed is a big equalizer for other scientists that want to study this. That way they can just grab an engineered E. coli toolkit with standardized methods and do other kinds of science without having to either develop growth and extraction methods or find a reproducible and reliable source. It gets easier to stand on the shoulders of others work when there are fewer variables to reproduce just to start the interesting experiment.

3 Likes

Eh - they just grow medical weed. Almost one buys Marinol.

Edit:

There’s no need to pharmabro the prices on things like this.

5 Likes

The law will someday require tracer agents in all legal pharmaceuticals, and a database of brain chemistry and DNA and etc. etc for all citizen-consumers.

How else can the law distinguish between legitimate medically induced thoughts and illegal street-drug thoughts?

But until that day we must rely on the Central Scrutinizer for our moral epistemology:

“This is the Central Scrutinizer
It is my responsibility to enforce all the laws
That haven’t been passed yet …”

5 Likes

The standardization is useful in certain forms of research. Given the very high LD50, and similarly high dose thresholds for acute toxic effects from either pot* or 'shrooms, @KathyPartdeux has a solid point about the preference for non-standardized production methods through simple farming.

* Excepting the cardiac risk from smoking and vaping which enters at recreational and medical exposure levels.

1 Like

The Central Scruitinizer wants you to be happy.

1 Like

Shrooms tend to have less of an ‘edge’ to them than acid (eating peyote is utterly vile and you literally have to eat enough to throw up for that to work), but if shrooms want to fuck with your head, you’ll wish you’d stuck to acid.

2 Likes