Scientists genetically engineer E. coli to produce the psychedelic psilocybin

I long ago noted that trying to drop acid after tripping the day before is a total non-starter. You have to wait a week for it to work again.

2 Likes

Are you 100% certain nothing has ever leaked into the wild, or just that no one has ever detected such a leak?

Also, we never had a tsunami cause a major nuclear disaster…until we did.

3 Likes

A lot of these organism are engineered to be hobbled and to survive or create a particular compound would need to be in specific media/environments. In other words whatever they’d need to survive or be useful wouldn’t readily exist in the natural world. Additionally there are other mechanisms that can be used to ensure they can’t survive (ie: suicide genes).

I’m not naive enough to say that engineered organisms escaping is impossible, but I don’t worry about most of them beyond the ones militaries keep stashed that have been purposefully designed to kill. E Coli that’s been designed to create insulin, adrenaline, etc are not boogy men that concern me.

4 Likes

Or to up the dose, but yeah: rapidly diminishing returns.

1 Like

And then one day the bacteria escaped from the lab…

5 Likes

Oh boy, I can’t wait to do my first CsCl2 large prep with that strain!

I get that and it’s valid. I’m seeing this more through the lens of a neuro or immuno lab wanting to study psilocybin and being able to get set up without having to figure out how to farm and extract the compound. Otherwise grant reviewers kill proposals with “research group has no published experience or preliminary data showing that they can product adequate pure psilocybin to accomplish their other proposed aims”.

2 Likes

Because if they can monetize it, they will. It’s like sunrise, absolutely dependable.

Like most Ars articles, the comments are absolutely worth reading if you have time.

3 Likes

Thank God Republicans and Moderate Centrists will save us from the horrors of Socialized Medicine

2 Likes

That depends perhaps, if psilocybin ends up being reclassified to allow for medical or therapeutic treatment it might still be possible for low cost generic variants of drugs sourced from the mushrooms themselves. If pharmaceuticals manage to create a new compound and manage to get that approved then yeah they’d instantly have a monopoly. My hunch is that’s what’s going to end up happening but i do hope that mushrooms will be allowed to be used for treatments.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.