Scientists invent fireproof fuel

Originally published at: Scientists invent fireproof fuel | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Think how much less explodey a Twin Ion Engine vehicle would be if it actually ran on ionic fuel.

IMG_0172

10 Likes

Link to story is broken. Use this link:

7 Likes

But not the Ioniq. Ironic.

13 Likes

Or is it Ironiq?

10 Likes

Why not? Spelling is dead anyway. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

So in the future I’ll have to use this

for this effect

Final Space Burn GIF by Adult Swim

2 Likes

“Comes with USB cable and one container of lighter fluid.”

5 Likes

awww. but if it were dead, then it’d be unchanging, life is change. and life always finds a way new spelling

( eta: spellinq? )

7 Likes

So cue immediate lobbyist-approved legislation declaring the fuel can’t be used by itself for reasons and must be mixed with at least 90% petrol.

2 Likes

And ruin every single Hollywood car crash?

4 Likes

Episode 18 GIF by The Simpsons

8 Likes

I wasn’t able to get access to the actual scientific paper.

I’m having trouble visualizing how running electricity through a combusting fuel would work in an engine made of electrically conductive materials.

4 Likes

Does it contain carbon? Hydrogen as a fuel does not release carbon into the atmosphere. It would be great if this potential fuel was likewise carbon-free

1 Like

It sounds like the solid rocket fuel that Integza featured on his channel a few months ago. Maybe it’s a different chemical formula, but it sounds like works in a very similar manner.

3 Likes

Fireproof fuel IS i(r)onic.

(And spelling will be allowed to die over my dead body! Oh, wait…)

1 Like

Wouldn’t the spark plug already cover that?

2 Likes

That’s actually helpful, thank you! You could do it in the fuel injectors and use ceramic seats like a spark plug does.

Of course the odds of being able to run a new fuel in an existing engine are pretty low… it’s always easy in theory, but unleaded gas ate my valve stems and faces, and ethanol gas mixes ate my gaskets and seals…

1 Like

Back in the late 80s, NOVA aired an episode (Why Planes Burn) that looked at efforts to make airline fires survivable. One project tested how the addition of a certain additive to jet fuel effected its particular “misting” properties (upon being released during a crash) in a way that prevented the fuel from igniting. The link above takes you to the Internet Archive.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.