Scientists recreate sound of Egyptian mummy's voice from 3,000 years ago

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/scientists-recreate-sound-of-e.html

3 Likes

So it sounds like Boris Karloff?

10 Likes
10 Likes

They found an ancient Egyptian Alexa didn’t they?

5 Likes

Drier and scratcher than your standard Bela Lugosi.

7 Likes

Even if the other vowels and consonants could be extrapolated, can we even begin to guess how ancient egyptian was pronounced?

Maybe we’ll find out with the next Mummy reboot.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth…

Excerpt from video notes: The knowledge of Egyptian vowels is very incomplete though they can be deduced to some extent from Coptic. Other sources are ancient Greek, Assyrian and Babylonian texts in which there are fully vocalized transcriptions of Egyptian words. For the earlier periods of Egyptian, a simple system of three vowels, inherited from Proto-Afro-Asiatic, can be posited. Each vowel had short and long varieties but in most cases the contrast between them was not phonemic. Disclaimer: not 100% accurate; some of the words are my personal reconstructions.

11 Likes

Tl;Dr: no, they didn’t

4 Likes

Gotta love a news story that brings to mind ol’ young King Tut!

10 Likes

Whereas if you recreate the voice of a Mummy now, it says “Why is it so dark in here?”

6 Likes

You just know this is going to end badly when someone tries to run text from a mysterious Egyptian scroll though the mummy voice synthesizer.

I’m figuring a rain of scarab beetles.

8 Likes

All that for the equivalent of “meh”? :slight_smile:

Actually, pretty fascinating.

4 Likes

I dug up the original article (trying to find out what kind of plastic they used to 3D print the reproduction pharynx, which, no luck, they didn’t say), and this bit is fun. Emphasis mine:

Since human remains have unique status not as ‘objects’ but as the remains of once-living people, it was also necessary to consider the ethical issues raised by the research and its possible heritage outcomes. The team concluded that the potential benefits outweighed the concerns, particularly because Nesyamun’s own words [in his burial inscription] express his desire to ‘speak again’ and that the scientific techniques used were non-destructive.

8 Likes

I hope not.

4 Likes

Gosh darn! The Bangles were only off by one letter.

7 Likes

I’m curious if these scientists actually tested their technique by recreating the voice of more-recently-deceased people who actually left recordings of their voices behind for comparison.

If not then this is little more than guesswork.

11 Likes

It was Rosanne Barr’s mummy.

related article. (that particular sound seems to go with that particular Einstein face)

y tho? I don’t see what they hoped to gain from this.

Perhaps he’s just mostly dead?

6 Likes