SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

We’ve changed the interpretation of the law you were convicted under - but tough shit.

6 Likes

“Originalism” means what we tell you it means!

9 Likes
2 Likes

Almost?!? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Good news for once! SCOTUS just ruled, correctly, against the GOP asshats who wanted the feds to arrest and jail every immigrant

It was 8 to 1. Alito dissented, because of fucking course he did. I am really hoping this messes up the GOP’s other immigration atrocities.

Edited to add link the Texas Tribune article. The Tribune does good work and partners with ProPublica a lot

8 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

The best SCOTUS that money can buy!

5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Key And Peele Chicanery GIF

8 Likes

It’s very much like the movies where briber “accidentally” drops a large wad of bills on the ground or on a corrupt official’s desk.

1 Like

Based on what’s been revealed by the press so far, I wouldn’t be surprised to see vacation videos or footage of justices disembarking from yachts and private jets as “breaking news.” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

season 4 court GIF

6 Likes
7 Likes

Another analysis of Gorsuch, Native Americans, and Clarence Thomas.

3 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

From the article:

Last year, before the lease was activated, a line in Alito’s financial disclosures labeled “mineral interests” was valued between $100,001 and $250,000. If extraction on the plot proves fruitful, the lease dictates that Citizen Energy will pay Alito’s wife 3/16ths of all the money it makes from oil and gas sales.

First, leasing mineral rights in Oklahoma is as common as one’s kids being in 4-H. 160 acres of non-fertile soil is no big deal in that state. The valuation tells you that: divide the valuation by 160 and you’ll see the range includes the low end being well under $1,000/acre. Totally reasonable. Nothing to see here. There’s really nothing to do with it except lease the mineral rights, really, which as I said is normal for the area. They look to be in the Woodford shale formation, which I don’t have direct knowledge about but would be of interest to drilling companies. In a location like that, you’d be getting phone calls or knocks on the door by a “landman” (modern term, “land manager”, but those good ol’ white boys don’t really like that change) or maybe 20, all making their pitch. You can live on your land – DON’T – you’re just giving rights to what’s underneath it. There’s no way the Alitos are living there or have even a family vacation home there, which is just as well. So, this is a nothingburger decision.

Second, I question the part that states 3/16ths of money made from sales goes to the leaseholder. It’s more likely to be 3/16th of 1%. And that’s after all expenses, and only if a well is drilled AND it produces. So again, considering how wealthy they are, this tiny line item isn’t putting them in the pocket of Big Oil & Gas, especially if that’s all the exposure they have to the industry.

I’m in total agreement that he’s taken full advantage of his access and power whenever possible, but this doesn’t seem to be a big enough piece of the pie to be a smoking gun.

2 Likes

If the Disney judge recused over a relative with 30 shares, this is recusal worthy.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a good point, but we’re in very different waters these days!

2 Likes