Antonin Scalia, 1936-2016

[Read the post]

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin:

Forking this to its own thread.

Getting political already.

Seen a few mentions of this guy as a potential replacement.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-supreme-court-nominee-in-waiting

5 Likes

This is a huge deal, and it will be ugly both for the campaign and for the bickering getting a new justice in place.

12 Likes

He died on a hunting trip in TX. Does anyone know where Cheney was?

58 Likes

Except he died in his sleep, in his room.

3 Likes

Cruz has already called to block any nominee Obama suggests.

Cruzin’

4 Likes

Well then do we know where Colonel Mustard and Professor Plum were? Was a rope or candlestick involved?

9 Likes

I don’t think that is how that works…

2 Likes

Because the best way to honor the legacy of a Justice known for being a “strict Constitutional literalist” is to ignore the part of the Constitution which clearly grants the President the power to appoint Supreme Court justices.

72 Likes

Wouldn’t it be rather overgenerous to assume Cruz understands the workings of the Senate and the Constitution?

31 Likes

Canadians

17 Likes

The GOP debates tonight should be interesting…

1 Like

Can Obama nominate himself?

14 Likes
42 Likes

How so? i think it would take a lot more than this to make it interesting. I expect lots of sanctimonious blather about the loss too soon of a great man, blah blah. And I’d bet they’ll “honor” the dead by not saying anything of substance about what this means for a nominee and the future of the Supreme Court.

11 Likes

They’ll only have a few hours of prep. Should increase the chances of extemporaneous airing of fascinating opinions. You never know, they might just go for hagiography.

4 Likes

How about Bill Clinton for SCOTUS?

2 Likes

Eh… meh.

6 Likes
15 Likes

Wasn’t Scalia the most regressive member of the supreme court, by far? Is this even disputed?

Looking forward to actual progress.

41 Likes