SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

This is interesting. The Secretary of the Air Force (not the Chief of Staff) is a retired Army officer. That seems odd.

8 Likes

Biden needs to retire a number of them to make a point about civilian control of the military.

13 Likes

I’m not that familiar with the chain of command, so I don’t really know how these things work. There’s an Air Force Chief of Staff. He’s active duty Air Force, and he reports to, apparently, both the Secretary of the Air Force and the Secretary of Defense. And the Secretary of the Air Force reports to the Secretary of Defense. So I have no idea what their division of responsibilities are, but I would assume one of them had to make this decision.

Ok, I found this bit in the article:

Moreover, one arm of the administration cannot sue another, so the military cannot sue the EPA, and the case would never end up in court where the Chevron decision would come into play, said Walter Mugdan, a former EPA Superfund director. Instead, it would be resolved internally by a presidential administration instead of the judiciary.

So Biden will have to resolve this dispute.

13 Likes

It’s my understanding that the President usually requests the resignations of senior military officers and they comply.

But the Prez has fired some very important military leaders.

The Constitution says she’s the commander in chief and doesn’t list limitations.

7 Likes

Yeah I wasn’t talking so much about firing anyone as about ordering them to knock it off. But also I was wondering whether it was the Chief of Staff of the Air Force who made this call, or the Secretary of the Air Force, who is a civilian. Either way, both report to the Secretary of Defense. Also, both were appointed by Biden.

11 Likes

Guess who’s back on his shit?

(Spoiler: it’s Thomas)

15 Likes

J79B

11 Likes

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

10 Likes
16 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes
14 Likes
14 Likes

It’s like a Rorschach test: if you’re fine with ethics rules, it’s probably because you’re not worried about being caught & punished.

12 Likes
11 Likes

Gloria von what–

:grimacing:
Some of her on the record comments in that wiki entry are
 regrettable.

12 Likes

Aw, I wanna be the Princess of Taxis!

Just imagine having all of them at your command

Argentina Taxis GIF by Rosarioplus

14 Likes

Close:

A popular but erroneous account holds that the vehicles were named after Franz von Taxis from the house of Thurn and Taxis, a 16th-century postmaster for Philip of Burgundy, and his nephew Johann Baptiste von Taxis, General Postmaster for the Holy Roman Empire. Both instituted fast and reliable postal services (conveying letters, with some post routes transporting people) across Europe. Their surname derives from their 13th-century ancestor Omodeo Tasso.
source

They ran the post office:

11 Likes

8 Likes

Would you settle for
 Princess of:

?

8 Likes