SCOTUS Strikes Down Texas Abortion Ban

Good.

9 Likes

That is a surprise actually.

If the pro-birthers really want to reduce the number of abortions, you would think they would be for actual sex ed and access to contraceptives. But they even find that as bad.

It just comes down to old white men wanting power over women and that sex is icky to pro-birthers.

9 Likes

Who defected? Roberts?

Ha! Hilarious.

Roberts, Thomas and Alito dissenting.

1 Like

Kennedy.

1 Like

BREYER, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which KENNEDY, GINSBURG, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., joined. GINSBURG, J., filed a concurring opinion. THOMAS, J., filed a dissenting opinion. ALITO, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which ROBERTS, C. J., and THOMAS, J., joined.

1 Like

I’m surprised by Roberts’ decision. I thought he had a reputation for making judgements based on precedent.

Precedent in this case would be the Texas courts. In his mind there’d still be access, they would have 10 clinics available, where’s the issue?

1 Like

Yes took a few minutes to dig that up. No surprise there. But Roberts defected on King v Burwell. Anything is possible.

Not really. The legal issue was incredibly specific and made assumptions and he took it apart with his comments about not undoing another part of the government:

“In a democracy, the power to make the law rests with those chosen by the people. Our role is more confined —‘to say what the law is.’ … That is easier in some cases than in others. But in every case we must respect the role of the Legislature, and take care not to undo what it has done. A fair reading of legislation demands a fair understanding of the legislative plan. Congress passed the Affordable Care Act to improve health insurance markets, not to destroy them. If at all possible, we must interpret the Act in a way that is consistent with the former, and avoids the latter.”

2 Likes
3 Likes

I think the pro-birthers are for 2 things - more children in general, especially the real extreme ones who view Christanity as in some sort of existential war for supremacy by numbers against… any number of other groups of people (Islam, atheists, etc). Some literally view it as breeding an army, for which some view as a war for the world.

Second, the real extreme ones want to put the onus on women (as you point out, men wanting power over women), but they want us to do so through only having sex within marriage (preferably a proper Christian one), where sex is a sacrament whose only purpose is the production of children. Sex Ed and contraceptions are viewed as leading women astray and making them believe that they have an autonomy they don’t believe we actually have.

So yeah, this view really shouldn’t surprise us at all. And not all anti-abortion types believe this either. I’m sure there are some who are interested in sex ed and birth control, but they aren’t the vocal majority of the movement, unfortunately for them. These whack-o-dos are.

5 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 236 days. New replies are no longer allowed.